• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air in my loop.pls advice (pics included)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhOdInI

I have been running this loop for almost a month and i am very pleased by the results, running my max3 with a 285 FSB and 2-3-3-6 timings without any volt modding i think its quite impressive. But i still have air in my loop. For about 2-3 minutes the water flows quitely but after a while u can hear air being pushed by the pump, and bubbles/turbulance builts up into my res. I thought it would go away with time but obviously it hasnt. I have also tried opening my res and squizing the tubing to force any air out, and also when i was mounting everything into my case i shooked them well after filling them with water to make sure that all the air got out. Pls advice.

who1.jpg

who2.jpg

who3.jpg

who4.jpg

looks like the 1048 pump in which case I really am hard pressed to believe that too high a flowrate is causing the air to get sucked back into the loop.

I don't use a bayres but it looks like you might have to hold the thing vertically so the air has a more defined space to go with horiz it looks like the air spreads out alot and therefore might not go where you want it to, vertically would force it near the outlet (or at an angle)

well, its not a 1048, its a 1250, and desides, i have seen a lot of ppl mounting their res the way i have...

WhOdInI said:
well, its not a 1048, its a 1250, and desides, i have seen a lot of ppl mounting their res the way i have...

looks to me like you have too much air in the res... afaik you should have as little as possible - especially in the 1 bay bay reses which are prone to sucking air into the loop :(

do you really need a res at all? if you ran the gpu outlet to the pump intake via a "t" (pump rotated 180degrees) you'd cut out a significant amount of tubing...

Try filling the res all the way up.

If that doesn't fix it, check for places where air is getting sucked into the loop.

sandman001 said:
Try filling the res all the way up.

If that doesn't fix it, check for places where air is getting sucked into the loop.

Did that and it worked, now my loop IS silent at last :). Also noticed a 1-2C drop in temp. thank you very much. Do you think watercooling my chipset will stress my loop?

It will add more tubing & restriction to your setup. If you're at 285 fsb, you probably don't need to watercool your NB. You wouldn't likely see much (if any) fsb gain, and your CPU temps might go up a little.

I'd just pick up that new swiftech MCX159 or whatever it is.

Thier new pin-fin chipset cooler.

It'll work as well as a waterblock.

i bought the northpole from microcool (microcool.it) but the problem is that it has to be screwed on the mb, so the only way of fixing it on the max3 is by glueing it with some epoxy but am not sure about the performance of epoxy & also i dont know how to make the epoxy mixture.

It took me a long time to figure out how to fill a bay res. Tilt the case slightly on its side so the air goes to the opening in the bay res where you fill it up. Slightly overfill the bayres till water comes out the top but does not pour out. The openings in the bayres usually go deep into the res itself allowing you to fill a little extra water into them. Add a little(almost like when you almost overfill a drink and it forms a bubble at the top of the glass but does not pour out) water and watch the bubbles come out. About every 2 minutes add a little more water. Takes me about one to two hours but doing it in this fashion will get rid of almost all of the air trapped inside the res. Good luck water cooling.

What I do to get air out of my system is BEFORE the system is installed I let it run and SHAKE the block and SHAKE the rad. I shake them vigurously. You'll see (and hear) all the air comming out of the system. Even after a month I did this and I still had some air in my rad.
Hope that helps.
Rob

ye i agree. Air is the rad is stupid, its like a bubble stuck somewhere in there. You gotta shake it like you've never shaked b4.

:p

WhOdInI said:
i bought the northpole from microcool (microcool.it) but the problem is that it has to be screwed on the mb, so the only way of fixing it on the max3 is by glueing it with some epoxy but am not sure about the performance of epoxy & also i dont know how to make the epoxy mixture.

For this intent there is the Hook Adaptor kit, it permits to mount the northpole on Intel mainboard northbridge. ;)

Back