• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA3+ gaming build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huneycutt

I'm hip to building 'puters and OC'ing and friend wants me to build him a woo-hoo-high-speed gaming computer. Figure for the platform I'll use the tried-and-true 8RDA3+, 2500 Barton, SLK-900A cooler, 1GB of Crucial PC 3000 RAM, OC it 2.1 to 2.2 GHz and it should rock. I have a 8RGA+ and 2500 OC'd 2.15 GHz and he was impressed with the speed of mine.

He wants to use the Radeon 9600 Pro or 9800 and I know nothing about gaming VGA cards. OS will be "Windwoes" 2KPro and would appreciate personal experience, comments, critisims and input of any kind. Money not a problem here. He has a service where he is in a lot of homes and would like him to give favorable references for me building computers because I'd like to start a side business building computers and pick up a few extra bucks.

Your time and input appreciated and have a super week. OldBird

All good choices I'd say, the 9800 Pro is far better than the 9600 pro and the XT probably isn't worth the money. You should get PC3200 instead of 3000 simply because it is probably cheaper and faster to boot... the chip is a great choice too.

The following is just my experience so don't think I'm talking down...

As far as starting a side business to build computers... It looks good on paper, but its a very taxing job.

I myself have been building and repairing computers for a few years for friends and acquaintances and now it's starting to balloon into a business, I'm not sure I want to take the bull by the horns on this one though for several reasons.

When you fix a computer that someone breaks they will be eternally grateful and will be unlikely to complain even if they break it again... in fact they'll probably come back to you to fix it again.

When you build someone a computer and something goes wrong, they automatically assume that it is your fault and you owe them a house call to fix the problem you caused even if actually just something stupid like their 4 year old uninstalled a printer driver. Even if it wasn't your fault they will make a mental note and if they are ultimately unsatisfied, you've got a bad reference.

To build systems you need to make very clear what your conditions are on tech support. How much for free and what things are not covered... and how long you will take responsibility for the build going wrong (no more than one year).

Make sure you use name brand components that you trust or you'll probably eat some expensive "cheap" hardware. ie I built my sister a computer and in order to meet her $600 goal I skimped on the hard drive... white label, that thing quit on her within 4 months and I had to get her a real Western Digital drive. That computer has run flawlessly for almost 2 years.

Always price the computer first and then take payment... make sure it is lagit before you start ordering parts...

It really boils down to how well you know your customers and how much tech support they'll need. You can either build it without an OS or you can build it complete and install everything, the former is probably easier from a blame standpoint, but less people like that option... also remember that lots of people are still scared of homebuilts and computers in general.

One last thing... when you build for people that are not necessarily your friends you cannot "lend" them a copy of win2k... you need to buy the full version legally... you can't get around this rule, one false step and you could be facing a hefty fine...

Good luck!

Back