• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tn_wstlnd

Registered
I am new to overclocking, but I just built my first computer a week ago and have been doing a lot of reading on these forums. I have the NF7-S v2, 2500+ Barton, and a TR SLK-900-a with Panaflo fan cooling it. In my reading I discovered more than once people were talking about how Abit boards report the temperature 10*C higher. Is this true, even with the NF7?

I am currently overclocked to 200x11 at a vcore of 1.75 (I'm unhappy it's so high but that's the minimum voltage it was stable at). My temps are 34*C at lowest idle and 48*C at highest load, as reported by the Winbond Hardware Doctor that came with the board. That would be pretty sweet if my real temps were 24/38. Can anyone comment on this 10*C higher thing? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
the temps reported by the bios on the nf7-s is dependent on the bios used

the d10 bios, which was the first bios for these boards, reads the temp about 2 degrees too low, but a lot of people complained that this reading was too high, so by the time the d14 bios was released, abit recalibrated the sensor in the socket, and got it wrong big time, it tends to read 10 degreesc too low on average

the d16 bios, and all others after that afaik, are more or less spot on

you will find with that board that there are a lot of strange bios related issues, sata corruption on pre d14 bios', strange symptoms with certain multipliers and fsbs with cpu interface enabled and so on, you just have to find out what works best for you and stick with it

i know a lot of people who use this board use the original d10 bios if they dont run sata hdd's, because the only problem it has is sata corruption, and imho, it is the best bios for overclocking, check my sig and benchies on my site

i know from my experience that it is very very hard to get above 220 fsb with cpu interface enabled on the d14 bios, which with temps like those i suspect your on, but the only way to get back to the earlier bios from there is to flash it in windows with flashmenu

your cpu should be a lot cooler than it is now, mine generally idles at 32-33 and loads at 38-40, and thats with a lapped aero 7+ at 1.8vcore

check your bios and see what revision it is, and you should be able to tell how accurate your temps are by what i just said, the revision will be the last two digits of all the garbage running across the bottom of your screen during post

hope this helps clear everything up for you, if not, feel free to pm me and i'll help you as best i can

Last edited:
Wow, thank you very much.

I justed flashed the bios to the most recent version for the rev 2.0 boards, I guess it would be d21. For the past few days right after I got my SLK-900-A + Panaflo 92mm + AS5 on my cpu, I had left the computer on all the time. I have since left it shut down overnight and during the day sometimes, and I think the AS5 is really breaking in strong. My idle temp (right now at stock vcore and speeds) is around 23C (after I come back to my computer when it has been on for a few hours) and in the max heat Prime95 torture test it's maxing out at 34C. I will see what it does with the vcore and frequency raised to my previous levels, but it should obviously do considerably better. Kudos to your cpu though, that thing just doesn't want to get hot :).

oh it wants to get hot alright, thats why i have to lapp my hsf and tighten the sping every 5-6 weeks lol, i need a 947u but im packin my job in tomorrow and i dont know when im gonna have the cash again........ive seen it lob windows and not restart for 10 minutes when i was trying to get her stable, but she's good now, just a ballache the work involved to keep it there without the right kinda cooling gear

glad to have been of help anyways, good luck and have fun mate, should do well with temps like those, if you hit any tricky problems, give me a shout and see if ive come across anything similar

Very much appreciated, thanks man.

Good luck to you too, hope everything works out for you.

Back