• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bh5 @ 3.3v - how safe is it ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ecksmen

Registered
Hey all,

If I run my Twinmoss 3200 bh5 2 x 256mb sticks at 3.3v I can reach over 240mhz with rather tight timings. Is it safe to run the ram at this voltage ? Will it suddenly die or just reduce its life, anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

Cheers,

Ecks

Safe?

If you are worried about a fire I would blow some air across your memory at 3.3v

Your enemy is heat so I would protect myself against that first.

musk

Well the ram doesnt even seem to get warm, not like I would have thought. I'm unable to take an exact measurement. But using the old stick ur finger on it and see if shes hot returns a negative.

Ecks

How Hot

Juice,

were they hot to the touch? I was putting the v's to some BT-D43 and it got smokin' hot. I ordered some spreaders to see what that will do but they were hot above 3.0v

musk

The spreaders should help it out some and make sure you have good airflow as well. I run 3.1 through my Mushkin....or at least did untill I screwed my BIOS. I've seen where people run 3.5+ and they take it no problems. If its quality built ram with the chips on it they will be fine.

Most of the time you see guys running 3.5v+ through their RAM, it's just to see how high it'll go. They don't leave it at that speed.

BH-5 should be fine at 3.3v, but I find it hard to believe that it takes that much to reach 240 with tight timings. Most BH-5 should do that with 3.1 or 3.2v, sometimes even 3.0.

The ram should be ok as long as they get at least a little ariflow. If my sitcks get no airflow then they get insanely hot even at 2.7v, but a tiny bit of air and 3.2v is cool to the touch.

Back