• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a good powerful AND reliable pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
The mag 3 looks nice, but the reliability of it is in question, the eheim 1250 looks nice, but it isn't quite powerful enough for my system I don't think, plus it's pretty pricy.

my system is

Maze3-1->caprice heatercore->maze4-1gpu->pump->BIX

It's a pretty restrictive system, but I like it, so I need a pump to match.

i don't see much reliability problems with the mag 3, more like vibration problems.
besides that, the mag 3 has a 3 year warrenty, manufac. put that knowing that this would also be used for aquarium (24/7) which, IMO, is a worse condition then a watercooling rig.
also, mag3 works well with restrictive systems, it has 10.5ft max heat remember?

Uberblue, I wouldif I could afford it.

Korndog.......hmm...3 year warranty. Maybe it's more reliable than I thought.

Is the MCP-600 really a better pump than the Eheim 1250, or Hydror L-30? It is only rated at 185 GPH while the L-30 is at 320GPH. Does this stat just not mean anything?

It doesn't once you put it in a restrictive loop, look at the head ratings.

So the MCP-600 is a better pump for water cooling a rig than the other pumps that are commonly used? Factor out how much more expensive it is.
::EDIT:: I just answered my own question, the Head ft difference between a L-30/1250 and the MCP-600 is about 4 ft.

One of my philosophies of life:

"Buy quality - you may pay 2-3x as much but it lasts you 4-5x as long, and it'll deliver quality performance the whole time.

Buy cheap - you may pay a lot less, it may last as long, and it may deliver the performance you need. Or it may not."

I have to disagree cather, I love my duron and mag3 and used parts. They all work great, and if they die its no hurt on your pocket.

Cathar said:
One of my philosophies of life:

"Buy quality - you may pay 2-3x as much but it lasts you 4-5x as long, and it'll deliver quality performance the whole time.

Buy cheap - you may pay a lot less, it may last as long, and it may deliver the performance you need. Or it may not."

I agree on the principal, but I just honestly do not have the money to buy a mcp600, Iwaki or little giant, or I would.

So, far the quiet one 1200 is leading the cost war ($25), but the mag3 is winning the performance crown in my price range.

I might pick up two quiet one's, or one for the moment and then another one.

New to water cooling, but I've used pumps for year in aquariums - check any aquarium web site & you'll get lots of opinions on Danner pumps. They're cheap for a reason, well, hell because they're cheap.

I'll go with the "you get what you pay for". I learned in in aquariums & WC - it's more expensive (in time & money) to replace pumps than to buy quality to start.

I just got my Hydor L-30 and I am VERY impressed with it. No noise at all apart from a slight humming.. it seems to have loads of power and is pretty compact... seems to be a great option, with an excellent price.

I would too stay away fromt the "quiet one" I was talking with the guys at marinedepot and they said

"To be honest with you, I would not recommend the Quiet One pumps. They tend to leak and they are not quiet either."

"The Quiet one pumps were recently redesigned and they are now a piece of crap. They are loud, they leak and they fail rather soon. A Mag 3 pump would be much better. Maxijet pumps are probably the best in terms of reliability, but their water flow is limited to 300gph for its largest model. Some other good pumps are the Dolphin DP series, but they are probably too large in size for this application.
Rio pump and Via Aqua pumps are not very reliable and they tend to vibrate too much."

Direct quotes from the e-mails.
I guess if a maxijet is used correctly they would be very reliable. He mentions the Dolphin DP series, I have one and they are incredebly loud.

Jon

I was looking at the dolphins, they seemed a good value, but maybe not.

Someone here might be able to hook my up with an eheim 1250, which I think should be alright for my loop.

If not, I'll get the mag3.

Thanks.

The dolifns specs are awesome! its just that they vibrate and make soo much noize! When I get my lathe Ill try making a new shaft for it, see if I can get something going.

Jon

Loud compared to?

I can deal with some noise, but not like anything really obtrusive.

My via aqua 1300 didn't bother me, and it vibrated quite a bit.

I'm thinking of getting a dolphin. What's your budget and how many GPH are you looking for?

270 GPH - 5.8 Ft. $37
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2379458836&category=46312

385 GPH - 5.8 Ft. $37
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2379514503&category=46312

650 GPH - 11 Ft. $66
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2380324216&category=46312

800 GPH - 13.75 Ft. $79
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2380555091&category=46312

You can even get 2000 GPH ones!

There was one that was like 350gph, and about 9ft of head at marinedepot.com, that one looked nice for $35.

That would probably be the Mag 3, with 350GPH, and 10'8" (Somewhere aroudn there) head, but 35 watts :(

Back