• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3GB ram why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Caretaker

Registered
Why would anyone actually use 3gb of ram I have a 1gb of pc 3200 400mhz ram and it dosen't seem to help my pc in any way.

could someone tell me why you would need to have that much.

One of my best friends is an animator and he has 2 GB of ram and he is complaining that he wants more. Rendering is really the only thing that I could see you needing that much RAM for.

The Caretaker said:
Why would anyone actually use 3gb of ram I have a 1gb of pc 3200 400mhz ram and it dosen't seem to help my pc in any way.

512mb Vs. 1Gb shows a lot difference...
a. when u extract large rar/tar files,
b. when u play games at the same time encode
c. rendering graphics..

The Caretaker said:

I don't see how you can't notice any difference from 1024MB to whatever you had before. I suppose if you just browse around in Windows and you don't play any relatively new games, it could happen.

If you don't do that, you should see stuff load alot faster. As to answer your question, 3GB of RAM as of now is only really useful if you play a select few RAM hogging games such as BF1942, or you do anything in the terms of graphics, video, etc.

In the future though, 3GB will become more common place. Right now, actual gigabyte sticks are a bit harder to find then your standard 256/512MB sticks. I can still remember when my Dad's work payed millions for their first megabyte of RAM.

-S

Databases and querying them. That'll be one of the first areas where 64-bit CPUs will take hold as querying a 2TB DB on 4GB of RAM takes forever due to the fact that you hit virtual memory every friggin time.

~THT

some dutch supercomputer has 1024 proc.s 1 tbyte ram, and 10 tbyte storage, able to reach 10 tflops\sec

Back