• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual chanel 512MB or single ch. 1G ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

I have 2x256 RAM sticks use them in Dual ch. but I feel that I need more. in some games like SWG 1 Gig is a must. And I have this 512 MB stick as well but than I can't use Dual ch
So is it better to use dual chanel 512MB or single ch. 1G ?
I don't care about benches only loading times (applications and games )

Thank you for your time!

thats a darn good question, if u went to a gig in single channel u definitely wouldnt have to dip into the hd as much, but dual channel significantly increases bw ,so in the cases where u dont need to access the hd, would be much faster than the gig for loading. any memory geniuses have an answer?

Is this on a AXP or intel mobo?

If its an AXP board go single channel because dual channel barly has any performance benefits.

On Intel boards you get a huge boost from dual channel so I would reccomend keeping the 2 sticks in there.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I have Intel board, not easy writing with boss sneaking around :/
So back to 512 MB than?
It really gets to damn laggy in SWG. But oh well I'll have to learn to live with it :(

Back