• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alas 3sixes, to RAID or not to RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BMorg003

Registered
Whether tis nobler to stripe the data or not (ahem; sorry...) I know this might be mistaken for a harddrive question, but it really concerns the controllers on the GA7-N400 Pro (my board)... I've had a WD 80G JB (Special Edition) for some time, and a family member (whom I love dearly now for supporting my habbit) picked up another one for me from Office Max when they were on sale for $20 (with raincheck). Now I know all too well that the ITE Gigaraid controller sucks, but I was wondering if I should run the drives Master/Slave on the onboard IDE controller, or would I get the Raid "boost" if I slapped on two IDE 2 SATA converters and striped them on the Silicone Image SATA controller? I found tons of IDE to SATA converters on Ebay for $10 (with a silicone Image chip in the converter), or Newegg has some for $20, money IS an object! I finally have two of the same size and type drives and they are just begging for RAID... Suggestions?

BMorg003,
As much as I would like to be able to help you, im afraid youre asking the wrong guy.

Ive never been into raid and as a result dont follow the technology.

True, by all accounts the pata ide raid performance is abysmal, and the common suggestion that I see seems to be to get convertors and run the drives as serial.

I would spend some time in some storage forums, and at Storage Review and gather some information so that you can make an informed decision.

Let me know what you decide to do and how it works out for you, I will be intrested in knowing if you do it, If the percieved speed matches reality...

Laterz,
3sixes -aka- dafanman:cool:

Sorry I couldnt be of more help:(

Found a Newegg review of the AMS converter from someone who has the GA-7N400 Pro2:
"I used two of these to attach two WD 80gig Special edition harddrives in raid 0 to the onboard SATA raid controller on my motherboard. They worked great. My raid setup went without a hitch and the raid setup benchmarks just below that of SATA harddrives in a raid 0 setup according to Sisoft Sandra.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2 with a onboard Silicon Image Sil3112 SATA controller."
for $20 for 2 converters from Ebay (w/Silicone Image Chip like AMS converter), I'm thinking of giving it a try, but I don't really expect earth-shattrering results. But a nice boost for $20 is worth it to me. I'll let you know how it goes... (I'll benchark it w/HDtach and Sandra both way and see which is better).

BMorg003,
well good luck with that project:)
Though you may want to look for and download ATTO for benchmarking raid setups, at least thats what i see them all using for comparison...

Laterz,
3sixes -aka- dafanman:cool:

Back