• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS3500C2 BH-5 or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

im going to be getting a gig of XMS3500C2, but im starting to become unsure, as there are two types of this memory. There is the one with the standard black heatspreader and there is the one with a silver heatspreader. I know the one with the black heatspreader is BH-5, but im not sure about the one with the silver heatspreader. Can anyone confirm if the silver heatspreader one is BH-5 or not?

Highly unlikely that either will have BH-5 chips. The main difference between the black and the platinium heatspreader is the color.

I might be wrong, but I thought Corsair quit using BH-5 chips a while ago? I looked at newegg.com and the Corsair XMS PC3500C2 is rated 2,3,3,7 which don't sound like BH-5 to me. Mushkin and Kingston RAM with BH-5 chips are rated 2,2,2,6.

Nope, all Corsair XMS3500 *ever* is BH-5. That's why it's so expensive right now. However, it is a guaranteed way to get BH-5.

There has only been one revision of PC3500 from Corsair, and they haven't produced any since they ran out of BH-5 chips.

I confirm, it is BH-5.... Folks over at the Corsair forums have verified, as well as the official Corsair rep. There is and will be only one version of Corsair XMS3500C2 (either color heatspreader) and they are guranteed Winbond Rev. B -5 ICs.

Just a note, Corsair has always used relaxed timings at SPEC as they only gurantee RMA to 2.7 volts.

I hate to say this but only the version 1.1 is BH5 which isnt sold anymore. All they have now is version 1.2 which I believe is CH5.

Tread

I hate to say this but only the version 1.1 is BH5 which isnt sold anymore. All they have now is version 1.2 which I believe is CH5.

Hmmm, do you know for sure? XMS3500 C2 only came in Rev. 1.1, which has BH-5. But if you know for a fact they have come out with a new Rev. 1.2, than yes, they won't be BH-5. Corsair did mention they have run out of BH-5 and if they continue to sell the sticks, it will have different ICs in them.

I wonder, are the sticks Newegg is selling a new rev??? If it is Rev. 1.1 you are safe.

Heh heh, they are already out of stock. The pic on the site shows Rev. 1.1, but I don't think Newegg knows enough to change the pic. If you get them and the label definitely says Rev. 1.2 and the batch date is later than 0333 or so, it won't have BH-5 in them.

I got version 1.2 when I RMA'd mine about 6 months ago that is one reason I dont have it now. Of course, I didnt realize it was 1.2 til I traded it and he told me it was. He also sent a picture of it also to prove it.

Tread

v1.2.jpg

Last edited:
tread70 said:
I got version 1.2 when I RMA'd mine about 6 months ago that is one reason I dont have it now. Of course, I didnt realize it was 1.2 til I traded it and he told me it was. He also sent a picture of it also to prove it.

Tread

v1.2.jpg

Hmmmm..... that's very strange... Here's is what the official Corsair Rep at the Corsair Memory Forums had to say about rev. 1.2

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22582&highlight=xms3500

Back