• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nf7 Vs Nf7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sct

Disabled
I'm trying to decide between the NF7 and NF7-S motherboard
would both OF them be better then my Asus. What performance will I get with my current configuration.

I dunno what sort of performance gains you might get, but the only reason to get the S over the non is because of the onboard sound and such; they're the exact same board, otherwise, including performance.

the rev2 NF7 (and NF7-S's) have been known to get really high FSB. As for a difference in your overclock...no one can speculate on that. The NF7 built upon the NForce Ultra platform is a solid board and is backed by a HUGE name in Abit. I prefer Abit and Epox to Asus...but as for gains probably not a big enough difference for you to upgrade to.

BTW sitting at your 200FSB your memory should be able to handle MUCH better timings...giving you better scores.

EPOX has gone into the toilet lately. I just ordered a NF7-S after using my 8RDA+ for over a year now because EPOX just doesn't suppot thier stuff as well anymore. If I remember correctly, our last REAL update in BIOS was a year ago or so. Hell, they even quit production on the 8RDA and (+) after recently comming out with it! EPOX has gone downhill since the days of the glorious 8K3A+...

I would advise you to stop immediatly and begin to look at DFI. The new batches of NF7s are terrible!

Many pplz (including myself) are having a hellova time getting it to OC at all.

Once again, I highly suggest you look at DFI! Dont make the same mistake I made!

Sentential said:
I would advise you to stop immediatly and begin to look at DFI. The new batches of NF7s are terrible!

Many pplz (including myself) are having a hellova time getting it to OC at all.

Once again, I highly suggest you look at DFI! Dont make the same mistake I made!

I doubt that this is the case with all boards. I switched from an 8RDA+ and I'm happy with my NF7-S :cool:

New Batches not the old ones. The New ones are terrible. Many pplz are complaining about em!

It dosnt matter if you believe me, I just giving him a fair warning b4 he get sideswiped like I did!

they still the v2, er go, the same board as i bought about 7-8 months ago.............the same board thats sitting here at 250fsb........the same board that 3 close friends and maybe 10 aquaintences have.............same board that consistently outperforms many others in the overclocking stakes

i cant deny it has its faults, some of them a right pain in the arse, but overall it is still better than the majority

it seems that no matter where you go over the last year or so, everybody wants to hammer abit into the ground.....sure their customer service department sucks a$$ big time, but their boards are generally great. It stands to reason that the amount of boards abit produce, there will be a few that are bad eggs, but the same goes for any company that manufactures any sort of product, that, unfortunately, is life.........

if you bought an amd cpu, say a 2500 barton, and everyone was getting 2.5gig out of it no sweat, but you could only get 2.3 with the one you got, so you bought another and still couldnt get the same as everyone else, would amd be ****???

the bottom line is these boards, gfx cards, and cpu's are running way way way beyond what they are supposed to run at......there is nothing wrong with the kit, its doing what its supposed to do and more.........you could get a dfi infity or lan party, and have exactly the same problem as you have had with abit, no overclock is a certainty, its an educated guess.........you can never ever compare one oc with another cos there are too many variables

As long as I get the same clock as I do with this crappy, no SATA having motherboard, I'll be happy with this one. 90 bucks at newegg so it's not alot for a parallel upgrade per say. I just needed something for the new HD's I got comming in until I decide to finally fork over the cashfor a AMD64 setup.

The problem is that NONE of the multi's past 10x work stabily.

I will never reach past 2.2 because 10.5x and higher are miserably unstable. (reguardless of voltage and BIOS versions)

This wasnt a problem on the old NF7s, but they are on the new ones.

DO NOT GET THIS BOARD!!!!

I dunno, thats why I tried to warn you. Im on #2 right now. Yea it works but its aweful. I really wish I could get 2.3ghz :cry:

Is there a certain RAM setup for this board? I have 2x512meg hyperx I had in slot 2 and 3. Is this wrong? The system will power but no POST at all. I put in the old board and everything works fine. Any ideas?

try the ram one stick at a time

slots 1&3 and 2&3 are the dc slots, also, the board is fussy with ram, and i remember kingston being one of the major culprits for instability, them and certain flavours of corsair

if your running 1gb try putting your ram in slots 1&2 and see if that helps also, that'll run it in single channel as opposed to dual channel

Welp, none of that helped at all. I called newegg and they RMA'd it for me. I asked if since it was defective, if I could just get a different board and the guy said he would wave the 15% restock fee. Newegg rox, this is my first time to ever have to RMA through them. I grabbed the DFI Lanparty 2 B. Hope she's as good as everyone beefs it being.

Thanks for the reply, just wish I could have had this thing going on for this weekend. :(

Back