• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need input on which mobo to choose...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daga5831

I was looking for some mobo reviews to help me decide which Socket-A mobo I should get. Before looking at reviews, I had pretty much decided on the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. Either that, or the Abit NF7-S. However, I found some reviews on [H]ardOCP, and they said that those 2 mobos were...less than desirable when it came to OCing.

Are those reviews accurate? Are there any Socket-A mobos that you consider superior to my choice(s)?

excuse me????? nf7-s is undesireable for overclocking?????

send whoever made that statement to me so i can tear them apart.........the nf7-s is probably the best ocing soket a board on the market imho, however, the a7n8x isnt great, it oc's alright, but nowhere near as well as the abit can, i would bet my house on it

get either the nf7-s rev 2 or the dfi lanparty or infinity, they both seem to be doing well also, although i know the lan party isnt without its faults......that said, what board isnt????

if your gonna go for a board like the two you listed though, i would get a new cpu and ram if you can afford it, cos those boards will fly man........you might wanna look at the new durons, seen the 1.6's going up to 2.4+, although they take a little work to open up the extra l2 cache, its worth the effort by all accounts

edit: you might also wanna lok at the soltek sl-frn2-(r)l, got one in my spare machine, great board for the money, oc's very well, good voltage options etc

:eek: Did I misinterpret?

Taken from hardocp.com
Overclocking

With the meticulous detail and care that ABIT put in to the new revision of this board, I could just about see the boot up screen at an FSB of 220 MHz. However, my dreams of grandeur were quickly dashed as I couldn’t get the board stable at a 200 MHz FSB, let alone 220 MHz. The highest stable FSB I could achieve with this board using both a T-bred B and a Barton processor was 185 MHz. I tried everything from increasing the VCORE to 1.95v to increasing the DIMM voltage to 2.9v, even going so far as resetting the memory timings to CAS 2.5 and 6-3-3 for the RAS, RAS to CAS and precharge delay. The board just didn’t want to go above that speed. Don’t get me wrong, I was able to boot the system in to Windows XP at a 195 MHz FSB. However, the OS quickly became a flaming wreckage as system files corrupted themselves. As far as performance goes while overclocked, the board's performance approached that of a fast P4 dual channel DDR system when used in conjunction with the Barton processor.

That's what I was going by, and it's the NF7-S v1.2 - maybe that's why they didn't seem to have good luck with it.

Back