• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered some KingMax PC3500 ram.. Whats the top speed on this stuff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

As long as it runs it's rated speeds at it's rated CAS latency I will be fine, however does anyone know what this stuff is able to do?

It was dirt cheap, and, well I'm poor.

I ordered a 512 mB chip, and a second 512 mB chip will be in the mail next week after I get my check.

Does anyone have much experience with this stuff? I heard they use their own chips, sorta like Crucial making their own.

If they're using their own chips, you might do well to avoid it. It's overclocking potential is probably pretty limited. What are its rated timings?

If need something inexpensive, there's been talk of going around to computer stores and picking out Kingston Value PC2700 with Windbond BH-6 chips. You can find them occasionally, and BH-6 overclocks very well.

If I remember well, this is a new Kingmax product line (Pc433 and Pc500). Their own chips, the Tiny BGA, was top perfomer in the Pc133 field, not the best of all in the DDR field, but considering which this is a new line there are few infos about, so it's really interesting to check how far they will go, so please let us know the results ;)

Adriano

I'm getting 1GB Geil Golden Dragon Dual Chan PC3500 too.. as what i have read it oc's well... will update u guys soon :D

I purchased a Kingmax PC3200 stick about a year ago... First stick wouldn't do a hair over 350 no matter the voltage or the timings; obviously bad so I RMA'd it. New chip came in, performed as-advertised and not a whole lot more.

Would do it's rated DDR400 at 2.5-7-3-3 and nothing tighter; would also do DDR421 at the same timings. I couldn't get it any further than that. For what I paid, I wasn't unhappy. Buy cheap ram, expect cheap performance ;) It worked just fine for the needs I had, and is now working fine in the machine I just sold to a friend at work. Plugging away at DDR417 on 2.6v and 2.5-7-3-3 timings again.

For an inexpensive overclocking rig, you'd do better by going to all the Circuit City / Best Buy / CompUSA stores in your area and looking at all the PC2700 valueram packages to find a pair of BH6 or Dt43 sticks. But for just off-the-shelf stuff or those not wanting to drive all day, Kingmax is ok so long as you have no grand delusions of overclocking :)

It's working great so far. 220 FSB, 2.5-3-3-11 timings @ 2.9 volts.

The mobo is limiting the FSB. I can't get it higher than 220 even with a divider. If I were to guess I bet this would top out @ ~ 225-230.

This is great for a 512 mB stick that only cost me ~ 80 bucks!

BTW, I don't want to get PC2700 stuff, I needed at least 215 mhz FSB and my old Kingston HyperX PC2700 could only get to 190.

Well,
onestly 220Mhz is not so far from specs (217Mhz Cas 2.5-3-3), which is the prob with you Mobo? there aren't way to use a lower multip as 10 or 11? it would be interesting to get the higher Fsb that your Ram ca handle.

I have the PC3200 of this and it is crap. I am only getting 180 (360) on my oc and it is really killing me. I like tight timings and this is the only speed I can get it to where I can stomach the timings (2-3-3-3-11t). I am running this on an Abit NF7-S with a locked week 34 barton 2500 and I can't take it. Gonna try tomorrow to see if I can run just one stick (I have 2 - 512) and see if I can get a better overclock.

Strida said:
BTW, I don't want to get PC2700 stuff, I needed at least 215 mhz FSB and my old Kingston HyperX PC2700 could only get to 190.

I don't think you quite understood ;) If you read again, I was referencing the Valuram PC2700 sticks at Circuit City, Best Buy and CompUSA with BH6 or Dt43 markings. Both are "rated" at PC2700, but both usually end up doing more than 250 (the Dt43 ones seem to top out around 278)... All for about $40 a stick after rebates. How's THAT for valueram? :D

As for your FSB limitation, I wouldn't rule out the motherboard. You're doing 220 and the memory is spec'd at 217; you're already pushing it. This memory doesn't work well with dividers below 2x (1:1), so I'd wager your memory is still a limitation.

The sticks of KingMax PC-3200 that I have gone through have been excellant stable performers at low voltage.

2x512MB DDR440-450 @ 2.5-3-3-7 w/ 2.55V (undervolted by IS7).

The most common KingMax PC-3200 does not use TinyBGA. KingMax "SuperRAM" (red PCB) PC-3200/PC-3500 uses normal TSOP-II-form memory, just like most all DDR. TinyBGA or FBGA-form memory is the standard for most GDRAM (video card memory) and will be the standard for DDR2. But it does not offer any noticeable advantages as far as overclockers would be concerned.

I could never get over 220 with my old ram either when using dividers. This is great stuff for so cheap.

PS - There aren't any Best Buys or anything around me, so I'm out of luck for that deal. =(

Been priming all day, after upping my Chipset's voltage I got it up to 225 stable at 9 multiplier. I had to make the timings 3 - 3 - 3 - 11 though.

Joseph - What's the point of having tight timings if you could gain much more performance by relaxing them and getting a higher FSB? Try with a higher FSB and bench both speeds.

I'm getting over 20k now in 2k1, w00t! This new 2500+ is awesome, too bad it isn't stable over 2.65 ghz though.

Last edited:
Yeah relax your timings.....as a matter of fact this whole CAS thing is WAY overrated by media. Actually CAS latency is not as important as 2nd and 3rd digits (forgot what they are called). For example 2.5 - 3 - 3 is MUCH better than 2 - 4 - 4.
There is a sticky in amdmb memory forum explaining that.
i couldn't believe it at first as i was cought up with the whole hype of "the lower CAS the better"...but i tested different settings at home and realized that it is true. From that time on it's become so much easier for me to choose ram since i know cas2 is not that important. On the other hand if the manufacture promisses cas2 at pc3500 it tells you that it's a quality ram .... cos u know if u wanna go higher u can always relax timings a little.

Back