• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help selecting memory P4C 3.0G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redxix

Hello everyone.

I lurked around for awhile but never needed to post before. I need help selecting memory.

I have a Asus P4C800-E and P4 3.0C /800; I was looking at the OCZ 3200 plat limited edition, mushkin 3200 special 2-2-2, and was trying to find corsair 3500 (2-2-2-5) ram but couldn't find that. Last time I overclocked was a Celeron 366 to 550.... back then all i looked at was CAS timings... so apparently 2-2-2-5 is a good rating? Is BH-5 chips better than BH-6?

these are my main questions: if I am going to run the 3.0 at stock speed (i have only stock heat+fan), then should i go for the low latency 3200?

if i am going to overclock should I go ahead and get the PC4000 with higher latency?

Thanks,
James

Wheather you OC or not, stick with lower speed/tighter timing RAM. Unless you have LN2 or an insane water cooling setup, you won't be able to reach speeds that need pc4000+.

RAM timings aren't as huge of a deal as it was back then. 2225 will improve becnhmark scores 1-10% over 3448. But lower timings generally mean you can get better overclocking results. Its your call here.

If you have the cash, get some BH-5/6. 5 will be harder to find and more expensive, but 6 is readily available in the OCZ and Mushkin chips you listed. Otherwise it is a major crapshoot to find BH-5/6. And get the dual channel packs. And welcome to ocforums!

ah thank you

this helped out a lot.

I will probably go with either the mushkin or the OCZ (3200 or 3500 2225); to tell you the truth i really wanted the Corsair XMS pro with led lights, but it seems that the latency timings aren't as good on those. I have a lian li server case and those leds would look pretty cool =)

to bad...

oh yeah, one other thing; on my other system, I have a:

Asus P4B533-E
P4B 2.4G
Kingston value ram PC2700 C2.5 (it is clocked at 2-3-3-6)

do you think I can oc the fsb from 133 to 166?

will the RAM be alright? it is PC2700 so I imagine it will can handle the 166clock. Would I have to lower the latency values to make sure it is stable first though?

I want to try to oc the fsb without taking off the stock heat+fan, but I have a Zalman 7000a-cu sittn around here. Although I read since I used the stock heat sink...the P4 core won't work as well with Arctic silver5 since you can't get all that residue off completely. oh well.

Back