• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to try next

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GSXR1000

Registered
I have a chance to sell my A7N8X-E and 2500+ for a good price. So im trying to decide what to replace it with. Ive been looking at a mobile 2500+ with either a GIGABYTE GA-7NNXP or a DFI LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B. Any opinions on either of these? Ill probly do a little overclocking once in a while but nothing too extreme. The rest of my components are 512 corsair xms 3200c2pro, slk900, 92mm tornado, WD 200 gig, ati 9600, antec true blue 480W.

I am in the same quandry as you on the board. I am going to replace my A7N8X Del Rev 1.4. I like the fact that the DFI NFII has 4 SATA connectors and has Gigabit Ethernet Connection. I just found out however that the DFI board does not have the four holes that would be required to mount the Thermalright SP-97 that I just ordered 3 days ago. Now again a quandry....what HSF to use. I really do like the DFI the best from what I have read. Please let me know what you decide and WHY...we can bounce ideas back and forth!

Unrelated:

I grew up on a ranch about 50 miles east of Missoula MT...noticed you were from Montana!

I have the DFI NFII Ultra Infinity... Excellent board... great stability and overclocking options. It does not, however, like supply said, have the 4 holes for the SP-97. I'm upset too... haha, but I'm looking at THIS heatsink... supposedly a pretty good one. It has the side clips just like an OEM heatsink but also has the heatpipes and a full copper core. I heard it's one of the best.

I love the DFI... it's an incredible board and has been known to hit VERY high FSB speeds with the right RAM. I'm running 220MHz completely stable (11.5 hrs of Prime95 on Priorty10) with my HyperX. I'll prolly venture higher but I'm kind of happy to have it stable here considering it's already a 54MHz FSB overclock...

You won't have a problem with the DFI... Good luck.

Ive been hearing a lot of good things about the DFI....but im still curious about the gigabyte. I really like the looks of that board also. I really like that heatsink..im would like to know how well it cools. I get good results from my slk900 right now..but im always up for trying something new. Ive gotten my A7N8X-E to do 225 fsb...which i thought was pretty good...but i dont run it that hard all the time.

Hey supplystud...where are you at now? Im in billings...but i have family in missoula. Its nice country around there!!!

That 225 mhz Is really huge for the ASUS A7N8X is HUGE! That is really impressive. I am like you and just want to try new stuff almost all the time, much to my wifes chagrin! I thinik I like the "looks" of the DFI better...is that pathetic or what? They are both pretty similar technically speaking....DFI just looks so damn cool!

I am an Army Recruiter. I am actually looking out my patio window at the snow falling on the mountains in Salt Lake City now. I never thought tthat I would end up living in SLC.....I really like it a lot!

My dominant buying motives on the DFI are:

1. 4 SATA connectors
2. GIGABIT Ethernet Connector
3. Hardware Monitoring Features
4. Good reviews here in this forum!

I was just informed that Revision A of the DFI board does not have the four required holes for the SP-97, but Revision B does!

What revision do you have?
Is this information correct?

If Revision B does have the four holes...that settles it...I am getting the DFI board!

I have the NFII Ultra Infinity not the Lanparty... they're essentially the same thing. The only difference is mine doesn't have the gigabit ethernet... everything else is identical... down to the BIOS... Mine does not have the 4 holes, but the Lanparty probably does since it's marketed as a slightly higher level board than Infinity. But they're all made specifically for the overclocker in mind. You'll have good luck with the DFI, trust me :)

I am very grateful that you explained the difference to me. The DFI web site is slightly less than great! LOL I now have recognized the difference and found them both. You saved me some confusion and possible heartache. The LAN Party looks about perfect to me....now hmmmmm...maybe they could make one where we can change the FSB, Socket, NB, SB etc to make it scalableto work with the 64 Bit chips later this year....oh wait was I thinking out loud again...sorry! LOL

haha, well that would defeat their purpose of forcing you to buy a new one every so often, now wouldn't it. I don't see THAT happening any time soon :)

I cant seem to find a bad thing about the DFI board so far...but still trying to find out more about the gigabyte board. I think im just curious about the Dual Power System on the gigabyte, what exactly it does and if its worth it.

Back