• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x256 Dual Channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

Right now I got 2x256 of Kingston HyperX in Slots 1 and 3. Was wondering if I got another 2x256 will one set still run dual channel?

It's well known that the more sticks of RAM you use, then you have the "potential" for a slightly degraded overclock. This is especially true if one stick is less stellar than the rest. Basically, RAM can only perform as good/fast as the worst/slowest module. If all 4 sticks test good and are fairly equal in performance, then you won't see much of a difference. I've used 4X256 of OCZ PC3500 in my IC7 and really noticed no difference in overclockability compared to 2X256. Only the hardcore that are pushing the max limits need to worry about this anyway.

Well I'm not a big overclocker, I got the AI7 so somtimes I mess with Guruu to increase speed but thats it. I was just thinking an extra 512 will help in gaming and applications. Am I correct?

Yeah, more memory will deffinalty help you in every day performance. You will probally notice a bigger difference with more RAM, than 10 more mhz on the FSB. Granted you will have less bragging rights, but heck who cares.

that what i was doing b4 i return for refund my 2x256 and instead, i ordered 2x512 so i can get this 2x256 im using... its really different when ur only using 2 slots.. using 4 stresses ur memory controlers... :D

Back