• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unstable BH5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

logo29a

Registered
I just recently upgraded my PC to an AMD 64 3000+, AOpen AK86L and 1gig Kingston KHX3200/512 2-2-2-6. However, despite having BH5 memory I have run into some instability issues (memtest reboots upon startup, and xp errors).

I am not quite sure if the problem lies with freak memory, a bad motherboard, or bad BIOS. I recently updated the BIOS to a yet unrelease version 1.06 (latest released is 1.04). I have considered upping the memory voltage but wanted to ask here first.

The memory is running at auto detect settings with the exception of the big ones which are running at 2-2-2-6. Even the voltage is set to auto. I would have thought that the memory should be stable with those timings, default voltage, and default speed.

try upping the voltage a little bit or if u dont feel comfortable doing the relaxe the timmings a little bit and see what that does for you

I did just that. No memory errors yet but MimTest still won't run. I wonder if it could be the round floppy cable I'm using. I'm gonna test a flat one and see what happens.

I'd try two things. First, hit those sticks with the max Vdimm you can feed em. BH-5/6 love voltage. Second, download the latest version of Memtest86+ if you haven't done so already.

I have downloaded the latest version of Memtest which reboots right after startup. I've tried more relaxed settings which won't get me a POST. Isn't Vdimm a physical modification? I don't think I'm ready for anything like that. Are there any good windows based software I can try to test my memory for problems? After having some issues previously with this floppy drive I just want to isolate the problem so it can be fixed. Thanks a lot for your help thus far.

Back