• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remoce CPU Mounting hardware - IC7-MAX3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roocat1971

Registered
Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the mounting hardware around the CPU socket so that I can install a waterblock for the IC7-MAX3?

Looks like ABIT is using a push pin setup - I hate these things. Thanks in advance.

-roocat1971

The push-pins that Abit uses are actually pretty easy to remove. I turn the mobo upside down and use a small jeweller's screwdriver to push the white pin up a little (a small punch or appropriate sized nail would work too). Turn it back right-side up and use needle nosed pliers to pull the white pins out the top. Then the retention bracket just pops off.

Heh, I think someone glued the pushpins on my Abit because those things just refused to budge. Took me damn near 2 hours to get them off of my board. My only suggestion is that you take your time and if you try pushing from the back, be very careful not to slip and gouge your mobo.

I eventually got them off - took some time and push pins are no longer good. My friends Asus board had screws which would have been nice. I really dont understand why abit did it this way. I would think that a good amount of people who are buying this board intend to use some heatsink that uses posts or something of that nature that requires you to remove the mounting hardware.

roocat1971 said:
I eventually got them off - took some time and push pins are no longer good. My friends Asus board had screws which would have been nice. I really dont understand why abit did it this way. I would think that a good amount of people who are buying this board intend to use some heatsink that uses posts or something of that nature that requires you to remove the mounting hardware.

Cost effectiveness

Back