• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

for all ASUS A7N8X users(PLEASE READ)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

makaka

FOR ALL ASUS A7N8X users(PLEASE READ)

this some tip from my exprience with this bord
i had broked two bord due at the bios corruption.
this some walk throught to get your bord working for a long time:::)))))
--------------------------------------
1-do never adjust a lot your memory timinig. its better to set them alwais to (by spd) or somethings like 80% ,83%, do never push your memory to high (120%,140%) if u are already at a high fsb 200+for rev2 bord 180~190 for rev 1 mobo
2-do not push the fsb too high more than --230-220(rev 2 ),180~190(rev 1) --is not safe using this bord it can corrupt your bios at any time and the motherbord will never post again .there is few user who have the chance to get 230 fsb with those board .this is too hard to get the mobo working at high fsb stable without any chipset voltage mode .between 210~215 for rev 2 bord and between 180~190 for rev 1 .
more than those listed value will cause 3d game crash due at the low voltage of the southbridge.
3- alwais in your bios after adjusting setting first save change after save and exit do never hit F 10 this also can cause the bios death .
4- do never press the reset button if your mobo not post due at high fsb or wrong memory timing just press turn off button remouve psu cable and reinsert it back after power it
---------------------------------------
5-never update your bios with asus flash utility try to flash it with bootable disk or pressing F10 durring the post
---------------------------------------
---- i have this bord for more than 3 month .every day paying with bios but the it is not corrputed i had follwed those setup and i am happy for the moment:)
---solution---
if u have the bios corrupted :::::

@@@1- power off your mobo remove psu cable and power again
if still not posting

@@@2- clear the cmos and power
if still not posting

@@@3- remouve all your hardware like cpu hdd ram (note if u have two stick of memory insert only one ) and try to power it again
if still not posting

@@@4- remouve the battery and all other hardware wait 10 min and power it again
if still not posting

@@@5-try the Duron Trick buy putting a duron cpu in your mobo this can force the motherbord to reset the fsb back 100
if still not posting

@@@6- try AgentSmiths method this the link
http://www3.telus.net/agentsmith/articles/article1.html
work with some luck
if still not posting

@@@7-final solution hotswaping the bios best solution
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15104

[edit: if u whant adjust your memory timing without endomaging
u bios you can do this from windows safe and easier
here

finally GOOOOOD LLUUUCCCKK:)

Last edited:
Very good solutions to many problems that can occur with this board. I wish Assus can step up to the plate and give us some decent bios chip to withstand some ocing.

Nice, i have a 3200 and i am hoping to get to 220, i have some good ram and a themalright sp 97 with 120mm (fan adapter 120-80, 190 cfm!). I have the dlx-e board.

nice work there :clap: :clap:

i have a rev 2.0 235fsb and i have done everthing to this board and its still ok with the bios ....my other rev 1.04 was terrible tho got so sick of it

andy

ohh yes i love this rev 2.0 board ive just built one for my m8t and his has the same performance ...much better than the 1.04

first thing to do was to replace the gloupe on the north bridge with as3 .....and a little castle on the south didnt hurt either
:D

andy

Anyone doing any extreme cooling mods to these boards? I'm about to start builing 2 of them and could use some advice on the boards hotspots.

well ive done all three volt mods chip set,memory and volt mod v core ......
also the north bridge is water cooled .....as is the cpu with a pelt thrown in for good messure ...

i found the south bridge got really hot @235 fsb so a little castle was fitted ...
also im not sure on spelling !!! the moffats (the black round things just above the agp slot ).......they get very very hot so ive also stuck a castle and fan above them as well .......

thats it it just runs all day long :D

andy

spiritedandy just for curiosity can u send some benchmark (sandra,superpi,pc mark ,3dmark....)
my system look very smilar to your and i need some comparaison
THANKS

ill do it over the weekend i have it in bits at the moment ....

anything to do with 3d mark will be a waste of time as i only have a 32mb savage card

andy

:D

Or you could always get a BiosSaviour which would have a the relevant A7n8x bios or any other bios for that matter .I have a friend who hotswapped his 2.0 A7N8X with my version 1.0 A7N8X bios and solved a similar problem to what is described above . But this link is the best soloution :

http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior.html
http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/bios_saviour/index.shtml

I have another friend who used the Bios saviour to fix his SFF Shuttle Nforce2 board quite successfully too .

yes sure the bios savior still the best way to fix those probleme
but i want to help new buyer of this board to avoide corupting their bios

I have the asus a7n8x not deluxe or anything is this a bad board for getting high fsb? My setup is a7n8x, 2600 xp cpu,volcano 7+ cooler, golden dragon dc ddr 2x256, asus 9280 geforce 4 ti4200 video,maxtor 40gb 7200 rpm hd, antec 450 ps.
It dont seem to oc very good without getting unstable 190 fsb and i have to clear cmos any help??

ive built two a7n8x dlx moboed comps now, one rev 1.0 and my current rev 2.0. Needless to say when I built the rev 1.0 one, it was my first comp to build, so not knowing what i was doing i changed it to 200x12.5 (which is not the 11x166 it shoulda been set at) and no posty after that. Called asus, they said I the cpu socket had gone bad, but reading all that, id bet for sure i screwed the bios...

u should think about another bios chip to hotflash your chip with your new borad or try some tips in this topics i really help

Back