• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wild Ride with new RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

Just got some Mushkin 222 Special last night. I took out the Buffalo pc3200 and plugged in the Mushkin, then all Hell broke loose. I got multiple blue screens with different error messages each time I re-booted. The registry had to be recovered, Explorer kept crashing on start-up, Windows XP couldn't verify activation, and host of other problems, ending in partial HDD corruption.

I put the Buffalo back in and finally got booted and recovered most of the HDD, but many settings are still trashed. Obviously, I got a bad stick of Mushkin, (at least that's my first guess). I didn't have time to check them one at a time last night, and I have to get to work this morning. I'll swap them out tonight, one at a time. I was just wondering if anybody else had any suggestions.
The Buffalo was running 3-4-4-11 @ 11.5*200, the Mushkin auto set at 2-2-2-6. That shouldn't be too tight for that ram should it?

no, but one of the other guys with an amd board was complaining about not getting 200 mhz out of his kingston bh6 chips.. seems like the amd chipsets are real finiky and only like certain chips.. or maybe u need to boost up the voltage....

Whew, that's some scary stuff! :D I suggest you try again and this time revert back to stock settings for your multi, FSB, etc before playing with the Mushkins. And this time progressively push your memory faster and faster in steps until you find its limits. Dumping new memory into a system and automatically assuming it will do XXX speed with X-X-X-X timings is a sure fire way to test Murphy's Law ;)

lol @ the oven man.

I have not played around with my Mushkin Special 222 all that much yet. I do know they like & want voltage though. I got multiple blue screens & sirens going off (I think the sirens were due to somethin I left in the oven & forgot about while playing with my PC) But! More voltage I pumped those lil buggers the better it got. I.E. @ 210 & about 2.6-2.9 volts, crashes & does not work. I'm up to about 220 right now with 3.20 volts. I do not know if the memory really needs that much voltage, but it seems to run fine (will check into this more).

-ºb§

Mushkin tends to need a tad more voltage than other RAM. Some of the Abit AI7 mobos won't even boot up with Mushkin at default vdimm.

I just got home from work. I have reset CMOS and put in one stick of the new ram. Memtest is running now. I'll give it 20 minutes or so then try the other stick. I'll post the results shortly.

Well, this is pretty odd. I tested both sticks, one at a time, and both had no errors. Then I tested both at the same time, no errors. Then I started turning the oc back up. The rig is back to 11.5*200, 2 2 2 6 just like it was, and no problems. WTH? Ran memtest all night, no errors. This really <insert bad word here> me off. Now my Registry is borked, I'm struggling to repair it, all for nothing.

Back