• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Help for Newbie!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluebirds1975

Registered
Hi

I have built myself a pc and am unsure what i can do to increase the performance.

I have a P4C800 Deluxe mobo. P4 3.0 800 cpu. 2X512 pc3200 ram and 550w power.

I thought this system would run better than what it does. The only thing i seem to be able to do in the bios is increase the cpu from between 5%-30%

Can i do anything with the ram?

you can manually o/c the cpu by choosing manual in the jumper free configuration.You can set your dram timings in the chipset and disable dram timings by spd.when you disable by spd you can set your ram timings.I wouldnt try overclocking unless you do a little research (read these forums) to see the best settings for your system.You also want to make sure your cpu stays cool or you could do some damage and poof your nice 3 gig cpu is gone

with your ram you can prolly up the vdimm voltage to 2.85 which for my board is the highest.you can try turning the mam on and set your dram timings manually.try setting the timings to 2-2-2-5 with a burst of 8.if unstable then try 2-3-3-5 burst 8.just go up in steps until its stable.

when you say up the vdim how do i do that ? will it increase temp as i only have air cooling?

Excuse me as i have never done this before

no the vdimm will not increase temps it will let you tighten the dram timings.usually voltage increases stability when overclocking

thats not bad.now to increase the cpu you can up the voltage to around 1.575 to 1.6 and set the jumperfree config to manual and up your fsb

ive increased the voltage to 1.6 and set the jumper to manual. but i tried 230mhz whch is 3.3 and it failed

this is what i would do.
first: set everything back to default.
second: go to the jumper free config and set your cpu manually to the desired fsb.but know that you might need to set your divider to 5:4 (320mhtz) to get a higher fsb.after you get those set go to your dram timings then start tightening them up till its unstable and then back it off.
Im still pretty new to o/cing so anybody can hop in on this anytime....lol :cool:

i have set it to 5:4 but cant get it over 220 which is 3.30. i can get my ram down to 2-2-2-5 8. Any suggestions? im lost now!!!

try loosening your timings and then up your fsb.try putting your dram timings back to 2.5-3-3-6 burst 4 mam off then start playing with your fsb.your memory settings have alot to do with what your fsb can do.

pc3200? theres no way those ram will run at 2-2-2-5, try running at 2.5-3-3-6 :)

my ram was running at those settings!!i have changed them to 2.5-3-3-6 8 but still cant get above 230

have you set your divider to 5:4?in your jumper free config itll say 320mhtz i beleive.if you go to 5:4 you will be able to up your fsb more than likely

Back