• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k7s5a w/ DDR400 - too much too fast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJCF

Registered
Hi all!
I have a wonderful if slightly old ECS K7S5A motherboard with 382 MB SDR (Hey! You! STOP LAUGHING!) Now an opportunity has come my way to upgrade the 382 SDR to 256MB DDR 400 at no expense to myself. I know the ECS K7S5a only supports memory up to 266 which is rather hard to come by nowadays so what will happen if I go ahead and get the DDR 400 - will it automaticly reduce its speed to work at 266 or will my wonderful RAM tranform itself into a useless paperweight thru incompatibility?

I kinda need to know... offer expires in 24 hours...

Thanks!

Daniel

it will most likely work
i have a ECS board that has KT266A on it
have both SD and DDR slot. Currently i have 512MB DDR333 on it and it will rnu at 266. So don't worry about it. You can probably turn all the timings down for better performance too.

Its backwards compatible….so….don’t worry about it. Many people have their boards running over 166 bus speed………although the HoneyX bios does have a 200 bus speed for the K7S5A …..It’s only wishful thinking.

If you have a good CPU you might get some use out of that ram. Download CPUFSB, this program lets you up the FSB within windows and see how far you can overclock. Also the K7S5a has a 1/5 divisor so you can relax at 166.

Back