• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps reading high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craneage2001

I just upgraded to a NF7-S after an untimely death of my previous board...:( In the process, I switched over to a watercooling setup, and while my temps are lower than they were on air (with my previous mobo), they seem a bit high (~10°C or so). I've heard that:
1) WC setups can read high for socket temps as there is less air movement around CPU
2) NF7s can read high temps (bios issue). I've got the BIOS from 11/21/03.

Can anyone shed light on the subject? My block seems to be mounted well (tried remounting)...

Here's the story (I did some testing...):

1) I left my PC off for a hour or so with my pump and rad fan running. My water was fully back at room temp.

2) I start up my PC from cold and immediately enter BIOS (~5 seconds on). I immediately go to the temps section and the CPU is at 32°C (This is within a maximum of 10 seconds of hitting power). I sit and watch the temps and it is a full 30sec before it goes to 33° and another 30sec to hit 34°. I exited BIOS and and boot into windows (~20secs) and it's still at 34°.

Is it even possible for the cpu to jump to 32° within the 5 seconds from powerup? I find that hard to believe---for it to jump that fast (especially since it's taking socket temps, not die) without having my load temps be insane. If I subtract 10°C from these temps, my bootup temps are just above ambient (which seems logical) and my load temps coincide with what the approximate values should be for my block (~.08 C/W, 100W heat from proc). Could I be right?

possibly, but it could be like you say, maybe its due to a lack of airflow around the socket, but then you should be asking questions about your case flow and system tem,p also if you know what i mean

ive got a temp sensor taped to the underside of my cpu, in the socket, and it climbs pretty fast, maybe 5 degrees in 10 seconds from cold (say 22 - 27 degrees c), then the time ive booted to windows i sit idle about 32-33 degrees.

if your block is on properly, then it must be the board reading the temp incorrectly.......is there no way you can check the running temp independantly, be it a hardware doctor or ir thermometer, just to make sure?

My system temp is 25°, a bit high, but airflow around the socket shouldn't affect (effect?) my CPU temps too bad, as I'm WCed.

Back