• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1015 = Better overclock for me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

misterbee

Registered
I fried my P4C800-E Deluxe by trying to update the bios in Windows (with AsusUpdate... I STRONGLY advise against using it. I've flashed a hundred bioses in my day the old-fashioned floppy disk way, with ZERO problems. Just a word to the wise). After installing the new motherboard (everything else was identical, of course), and flashing it with 1015, I can now (same bios settings as far as I can recall) clock it a little higher. Not hundreds of mhz, but enough to go from 3.5x to 3.6x...hey I was impressed. In the interest of total disclosure, I will mention that I used Arctic Silver 5 instead of the older Arctic Silver on the CPU, but that would be the only difference. Just wanted to pass along my experience. And, once again, I STRONGLY recommend NOT updating your bios in Windows. That is all.

that is probly why my bios update sucked to 1015 ,so i had installed the 1014 via afudos and floppy ,Whalla ! no problems .

i used the asusupdate to upgrade to 1014 no probs(knocks on wood) not sure if im going to go to 1015 since there arent that many changes and 1014 is running great

well i always use asusupdate... maybe ur using faulty windows? hehehe :D

Even Asus doesn't recommend using AsusUpdate, and some revisions require using Afudos. It only takes a few minutes and is always the safest bet for flashing, even if others have survived AsusUpdate. Why take the chance that it won't work or damage your mobo, when DOS flashing is just as easy and works reliably?

not a lot of people know how to use dos but almost all people knows how to use windows :D

For anyone who doesn't know how to flash their bios in DOS, it's as simple as this: (These instructions apply to flashing a bios USING AFUDOS!) 1. Make a bootable floppy disk. The EASIEST and BEST way I've found to do this is to use DrDos (this can be found at www.bootdisk.com). This is a small program that does not require installation. Just put a floppy disk in your drive and double click DrDos (don't put DrDos on the floppy), and it will do the rest. 2. Copy the new BIOS and AFUDOS to this floppy disk. A good thing Asus does is they include the correct version of AFUDOS in the zip files containing their bioses. 3. Restart your computer with the floppy in the drive. SOME people say you need to go into the bios and restore all the defaults BEFORE flashing the bios. I have never done this, and I've never had a problem, but it does seem to be recommended. It will boot (very quickly, since DrDos installs NO DRIVERS, only enough to get you to an A: prompt, which is what you want). From the A: prompt, you may want to type "dir" (without the quotes) just so you can see the files are there and to have the exact name of the bios. Then, type "Afudos.exe iNAMEOFBIOS" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Notice the "i" before the name of the bios. There's no space between the "i" and name of bios, and to be honest I don't know what the "i" means, but if you don't put it there, you'll get an error message (You will NOT do any damage, it simply won't execute the command). Once the process starts, just be sure not to turn off the power until it's finished. It only takes a minute or so. Then you restart and enter your bios (by holding the "Delete" key) and set things back to your personal preferences. This is all off the top of my head, so if I've left something important out, maybe someone will be kind enough to correct me, but it really is a pretty straightforward and easy process.

Last edited:
Nice instructions. But it should look like this:

"A: \>afudos /iP4CED15.ROM"

No quotes or A: \>, of course. Works like a charm. Only have to type one line. Couldn't get much easier, and the instructions in the manual show what it should look like, in case you forget. Using "Make a bootable floppy" in WinXP works fine, also.

Thanks so much KrisMCool! And I'm SO sorry if I caused anybody any grief by leaving out that "/". It does have to be typed exactly right or nothing will happen. You won't HURT anything, you just won't get any results. Thanks again.

ciku said:
lol "/" is not important anyways, as long as it is on the root dir :D

Just for the record, I wasn't being sarcastic. I sincerely was thanking KrisMCool for correcting me. I'm sure he -- just like I-- was only trying to help. Thanks to you, too, 'cause I didn't know the "/" was optional. Peace.

I always use the old fashioned way for one primary reason, I have a copy of the bios on hand in case of a snafu. The Ausu Update scared me s***less me once when it froze during an update and that was all it took to make me a non-believer. I have a collection of floppies on file with each update I've ran. costs pennies and guaraanteed back up. If Update or Windows crashes (never!) your only remedy is safely stored on an inaccessible harddrive!

Backups won't do you any good if the BIOS is the problem. Then you'll be forced to use Afudos. Just a suggestion, get used to using Afudos and be prepared with a floppy in case Windows gets corrupted or your hard drive scrambles. That is, if a bad BIOS caused it.

bios backup is what i mean, do u see some "stupid" sign in my forehead? coz ur treating me like one... LOL

Updating my bios was the first thing I because the Intel RAID driver needed at least the 1009 bios:D

Not to get off topic but where is the dividers?

the divider is in the jumper free config and it will look like this

400mhtz =1:1
320mhtz =5:4
260mhtz =3:2

i think thats right, if im wrong someone correct me please.

Back