• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buildin new rig soon, memory suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Last_Don

Registered
I'm getting ready to put together a new rig, and want some recommendations for the memory.

I've been fortunate enough to get an unlocked Barton 2500+, and my mobo is going to be either a Shuttle an35n ultra or an asus a7n8x-x (price is same for me). Coupled w/ a volc. 12, and a lovely ati 9800pro that screams :)

What would be some good memory for these boards. I know alot of guys are topping out in the low 200's with these boards, and I figure that's where I'll end up at as well. Bang for buck is best and what I'm looking for.

All recommendations are appreciated.

Thx

You'll want quality RAM so I'd suggest either Mushkin or Corsair. Both are backed by industry-leading customer service so the premium you pay is well worth it in the event that the RAM doesn't perform as advertised. A word of caution: I don't think the A7N8X-X does DCDDR.

~THT

I have a an35n ultra,take in consideration that voltage will only go to 2.7V. Enough for me though, I got crucial 2700 @ 404 fsb. But I was told that was pretty good for crucial. Also the best I can do is 7-3-3-3 for timmings. I've heard that Buffalo does a lot better for this board at cas 2.

Yeah top hat, I knew the x-x doesn't do dc, but I haven't seen anyone get a higher oc in dc then in sc plus I don't think the % difference is enough. I'm leaning towards corsair (Mu$kin is to much money), but also lookin at the hyper-x also. Thx

dkd, I was thinking buffalo 32 or 3500 for the shuttle as I'd seen alot of people in the forum over there having good results, even with ch-5 chips.

Anyone know who's putting out bh-6 stuff, I know bh-5 is gone (except for high $$) and actually would probably be a waste with either mobo as they don't quite have the juice to take advantage of the chips. Is corsair still using bh-6 or are they mostly ch-5 now??

Thanks alot guys

My suggestion would be to go with either the Buffalo PC3200 or Mushkin Level I(about $200 for 1GB last time I checked). BH-5 and BH-6 are difficult to find, and are priced through the roof. Not worth the trouble, IMHO. The only difference essentially is tRCD.

Back