• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another temp too high thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

Well guys this really puzzles me, it seems like my temp keeps climbing with each time I reboot. a week ago I was running at temps 10-12C lower. My ambient temp is about the same it was then, I haven't moved my comp, haven't touched anything else. The heatsink is cold to the touch also is the back of the socket. Right now the mobo reads 18C and the CPU temps is a crazy 50C. I really doubt that's a correct reading, as nothing has changed over this week except the suspicious climb in temps for no appearant reason. I'm sure the heatsink's making good contact, because it ran a week before that at normal temps.

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be glad. all my specs are in sig.

Mine seems to do the same thing, although the temps aren't as high as you report. Usually, one day full load is at 38, and then the next day full load runs about 46/48. Ambient room temp is almost always the same and the MB almost always reads 26/28.

From what I've read about the board, Abit still hasn't got the reading the temp right. Usually, the actual temp is about 10 degrees lower than reported. The abit forums talk about this alot, you you might want to check out there. Link

well, 40C would look much more resanoble, as its a TBird 1.4GHz, those ran super hot.
Thanks for the link, gonna look into it.

Now for example my mobo temp is about the sam (17C) but CPU dropped by 6-7C, because before it'd hit 51C. I don't get it. Even the protein I'm currently folding is the same, why would it do this?

Cheap thermal paste when it gets hot will get runny. When it runs and spills off the side of the cpu core, conducting heat to well, nothing because theres a slight gap on the 4 side edges of the synch between the core and the synch. Take the synch off and reapply the paste. This was an ongoing problem for me until i got some quality goop. I would have to wipe it down and reapply every week or so, my temps would stay about 8 degrees cooler for a few days than it was time to do it again. Just make sure you put a tiny bit that way when you put the synch on top it wont squeez ecess paste and make it run down the sides of the core.

I'm using AS3, it couldn't be farther from being considered cheap paste :) Thanks for info tho.

When that happened to me, I found out it was the temp probe failing. Although, I only found out a few weeks later when the temps were fluctuating wildly and reporting temps as 110C, 200C, -30C, and other insane things.

It may be that the thermoster is failing, don't count that out as a possibility.

So if this is what happening I should go and replace my motherboard?

Hey Coolest I dont know if you saw my thread on this same topic but I am having the exact same problems as you are. My temps start out at around 38c load and then with each reboot have climbed up to around 56c ! I find that if I take the chip off and blow the air out of the socket and reboot everything up the temps go back to 38c. I believe the problem is with the sensor not reseting properly or something whenever the computer is rebooted. Now after a few reboots I just ignore whatever the temp is at since I know the probe is faulty.

Back