• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usinf prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devilscow22

using prime95

could any1 give me the basics on prime95? like how to use it, exacly what it does and any other usfull info, thanks

*edit* sorry 4 the spelling mistake in the topic... it dosent seem to let me change it

Last edited:
Prime95 is a program that finds the Mersenne prime of various numbers. It is a program that finds special mathematical #'s by running a formula on numbers until it finds a mersenne prime. Since several small mersenne primes have been found, it is now being run on HUGE numbers (and I mean HUGE) so it takes quite a while even for a modern processor to calculate whether or not it's a prime. The torture test portion of the program takes known numbers and runs the calculation on it. The program then compares the results your computer returned to the knowns. If it's wrong, you have a stability issue. Prime95 is also designed to use EVERY CPU cycle when set to Priority 10. That generates the most heat and uses the most power. This allows you to not only test for stability but find the max load temps. What you would do is download it, install it and then enter the password under the advanced tab. I don't remember the password. It's like 9786 or something like that. It's in the readme somewhere. After that, under the Advanced tab again, set Priority to "10". Then go to Options-Torture test. Select the "Blend" option and run it. If your system is stable, it will run under 55C Load and won't return any errors after about 10-15 hours. Some people go more, some less. Depends on your definition of "stable". Thats basically it, if you have any more question, feel free to ask.

Back