• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which makes/models of ram are BH-5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonas007

Right now I have corsair XMS 3200 and am not happy with it right now. It doesn't allow my any head room at all when trying to overclock. I heard that his ram is CH-5 and that they don't agree with p4's or abit IS7 mobo's. So whats a good brand of BH-5 ram?

Also, is the BH-6 ram just as good? I was looking around on newegg and the OCZ EL Platinum was BH-6. I was also looking at the OCZ Gold. In the description at newegg it said that its designed for high performance with 865/875 chipsets. I have an IS7-E, would the gold or the platinum be better?

BH-6 = 6ns = spec'd for 166mhz (DDR333) operation.
BH-5 = 5ns = spec'd for 200mhz (DDR400) operation.

Obviously, this isn't always the case for them though. That's just what they're spec'd at. 99% of them will run faster than that with increased voltages, etc.

AFAIK, the only memory 100% sure to be BH5 still is Mushkin L2 black. The only version available of this anymore is the 2x 512mb pack, which is NOT cheap.

Other memory sticks may have BH5, but it may also be CH5.

it is my understanding that the bh5/6 initially were both designed as pc3500. . that would explain why both kinds effortlessly run 217+ at 2-2-2-5. the bh5 rev seems to respond better to lower voltages. gonna be hard to find any bh5. however there is still some bh6 chips on kingston valueram to be had for cheap if u are willing to spend the time and legwork checking out bb and cc. otherwise both mushkin and ocz have come out with ram(pc3200) based on the older bh6 revision. initial reports are that it runs very well..

jonas007 said:
Right now I have corsair XMS 3200 and am not happy with it right now. It doesn't allow my any head room at all when trying to overclock. I heard that his ram is CH-5 and that they don't agree with p4's or abit IS7 mobo's. So whats a good brand of BH-5 ram?

Also, is the BH-6 ram just as good? I was looking around on newegg and the OCZ EL Platinum was BH-6. I was also looking at the OCZ Gold. In the description at newegg it said that its designed for high performance with 865/875 chipsets. I have an IS7-E, would the gold or the platinum be better?

First of all it's the Limited Edition that has BH-6 in the DDR400, not the standard Platinum.

With these if my eyes didn't decieve me it will do 240 with 2-2-2-5 @ 2.8volts. I don't know which divider but that's all I recall.

There worthy enough to be in the BH-5 price list.

Edit
Just making sure people who know less than me don't get confused.

BH-6 IMO is better, at one point the Mushkin Lvl 2 black (2x512) cas222 special had it, along with the corsair xms 3500(ll?) and the OCZ PC3200 platium had it. They were all dual packs. But now i don't think that any of them still have it. BH-6 just needs a but more juice to do its thing.

Back