• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Dynamic Overclocking Technology

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hubris

Registered
Hey.
I'm a newbie to the forum, and a newbie to overclocking. I'm working on putting together an AMD 64 based system using an MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R motherboard. I'm a tweaker by nature, but I definitely go for ease and simplicity over constant tinkering.
What exactly does MSI's Dynamic Overclocking Technology do, and how effective is it?
I'm also a bit confused about wich RAM I should use--OCZ says I can use PC3500 ram--can I take advantage of this ram with the automatic Dynamic Overclocking? Or do I need to manually overclock? Also, do the MSI borad and the Athlon 64 support dual-channel RAM?

Sorry for the load of questions, answers to any of the above are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

hubris

Hey Hubris,

Sorry I can not provide more information than I'm about to, as I have not read up on the A64 boards & or capabilities/compatibilities (may wanna check over on the MSI forums). But, from what I understand it basically adjusts your cpu frequency automatically as you roam around windows. Basically if you execute a game, it will see what your doing & say, "Hey give her more juice, speed the CPU up!!" While if your just idling on your desktop the juice is turned down. Not sure about any of that other stuff, sorry!

While I do not know specifically what MSI's "automatic" overclocking utility does, I would imagine it simply increases speeds by a set "safe" percentage. It would be better to tweak settings yourself, that way you know what you've changed and what hasn't.

For memory, you would want decent quality PC-3200/PC-3500. Nothing higher, as the higher memory latencies wouldn't make it a good fit for an A64. I wouldn't recommend spending too much on memory - there's alot of overpriced stuff out there. For 1GB of quality overclocking PC-3200, around $180-$210 is where it goes for these days.

The Athlon 64 (Socket 754) does not have a dual-channel memory controller. So you don't have to get two sticks. Although, if your wanting 1GB of memory it's best to get two sticks of 512MB. Otherwise, a single 512MB would be fine if you could make do with 512MB of memory.

Hubris just out of curiosity does your mobo make a whine like when you scroll down or just at idle, mine does and ive check that its not stock heatsink fan and it isnt its really weird tho!

Back