• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deciding on mobo...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Spool-

Registered
Hello, this is my first post on here, but I have been reading the forum for awhile. I am going to build my own computer, and have planned out some of the parts, but I am having trouble deciding on a mobo. I want to get either the P4C800-E Deluxe, or the IC7-MAX3. Now I realize it will be a bit biased posting this in the asus board, but please give me your honest answers.

Here are the parts I have planned so far:
-Antec Super Lanboy Case
-Antec Trueblue 480W ATX P/S (Is there a better/cheaper one for my application?)
-Intel P4 2.8C
-OCZ 2X256MB DDR PC3700 Dual Channel Gold
-Sapphire Atlantis 9800XT
-WD Raptor 36GB
-(What is a good, not too fancy soundcard that will work most games?)
-Liteon 16X DVD-ROM
-Liteon 52x32x52x cd-rewriter

I am looking for a good system, that I will be able to oc to about 3.3GHz, on aircooling. I don't really want to do any mods to the mobo. I know the P4C800-E has some voltage issues, and I know the IC7-MAX3 also has problems. I really don't want to mod the mobo, I want a mobo that I can just connect everything, oc it, make sure its running good, and not have to worry too much.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

P.S. I will be using an SP94 hs on the cpu, will this give me enough cooling for the oc im planning?

I would go with the Asus over Abit at this time.

You might want to get another 36Gig Raptor and run RAID0;)

Creative is a pretty good name on sound.

Upgrade the 120mm fan that goes in the case. Get one that's a 120mm that does around 100 cfm.

I have 2 Asus boards that I'm pretty happy with, even though the first turned out to be a limiting factor in OCing. They're fast and stable (even with the voltage fluctuation) and have plenty of features. You'll find many happy Asus customers in these forums. That PSU should work well for you. If you plan to stay with air cooling, I would seriously look at a larger case. The Lanboy is kinda tight, and you will have to work harder to get good airflow and cooling from it than with a larger case. The OCZ is great memory, but if you plan to do much gaming you will be much happier with 2x512 instead of 2x256. Modern games run much smoother with more memory. The SP-94 is just about the best HS you can buy, mine works great.

Alright I have changed what I want here...

-Antec Super Lanboy (I realize its small for aircooling, but I will get water soon)
-Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
-Intel P4 2.8Ghz C
-Zalman CNPS7000A-ALCU (Until I get water)
-OCZ Dual Channel Optimized Gold 2x512 MB DDR PC3500
-2 WD Raptor 36GB Harddrives in Raid 0
-Sapphire Atlantis 9800XT
-Antec Trueblue 480W ATX Powersupply
-Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
-Liteone 16X DVD ROM and Liteone 52x32x52x CD-RW
NOTE: Liteon's have served me well in the past

Now, I have a few more questions...
1) How good is the onboard ethernet... should I get a good ethernet card too? This will be used for a lot of gaming.
2) Is the RAM I chose good enough for getting the 2.8C up to around 3.2?
3) Is the 9800XT really that much better over the 9800Pro?

Thanks again!

if money is not an option, I heard Mushkin Dual Chan Level 2 PC3500 is really good, but its like $300... onboard ethernet should be ok. I heard 9800XT is better than the pro, although im not sure (since im a geforce fan hehehe) and Thermalright SP94 is a better heatsink than Zalman or if want more info about hsf, check this link :D

ciku said:
if money is not an option, I heard Mushkin Dual Chan Level 2 PC3500 is really good, but its like $300... onboard ethernet should be ok. I heard 9800XT is better than the pro, although im not sure (since im a geforce fan hehehe) and Thermalright SP94 is a better heatsink than Zalman or if want more info about hsf, check this link :D

The store I'm buying from is all out of Mushkin for awhile. Is the 9800XT worth the extra money over a 9800Pro? Or should I just get the pro and wait for the next card?

The reason I went with the zalman is because it is cheaper, and I won't have aircooling for long.

hmmm if ur not going to have aircooling for long, get Vantec Aeroflow like mine, same performance as zalman and its only $19.50 :) u can buy it here. Anyways, r u a hard core gamer? if u r, get 9800xt otherwise, 9800pro should be ok :D

this is what ive heard about the 9800 pro vs. the 9800 xt.The xt is already overclocked compared to the pro.I have also heard it uses a diff die but im not sure.Im using the 9800 pro oem from mwave.com which only costed 218 dollars and its really nice.Im a hardcore gamer :D .I would also think about going with the 2.8e with the 1mb of L3 cache.I found it on newegg.com for 204 dollars.not bad.Might be my next chip in a week or so.Also i would get at least pc3500, im kinda wishing i had gotten better ram than what i have but o well.

Back