• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Added second stick - now crashing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chez

First off, here's my system (as it was this morning) -

Abit IS7-G Motherboard
1 x 512Mb Corsair XMS3500 Cas2 Platinum
P4 3.0c
Gainward GF4 ti4200 128mb Golden Sample

This system was perfectly stable at 217fsb (what the ram is rated for - hadn't tried higher yet) with 2-7-3-3 timings, Gat (PAT) set to auto.

This morning I got a second stick of Corsair XMS3500 Cas2 Platinum and added it for dual channel use.

Upon booting, my PC crashed whilst loading windows.

The best I can now manage is 200fsb!!

I was getting 4700 odd on PCMark04 before, now getting 4200 odd!

What should/could I try?

Thanks
Chez

Okay so you are runnig your pc with 1gb of ram in single channel right. Well it is a common prob. If you have had thatfirst 512 stick for quite a long time then it is prob bh-5, but not it will prob be ch-5. If the two chips are different then you will have a very hard and sometimes impossible job of getting it to run in dual channel.

I've done some more tests now.

All tests were done with 216fsb, 1:1 mem divider, 2-7-3-3 timings, GAT to auto, Vcore @ 1.6, Vdimm @ 2.7.

1 Stick, Single Channel -

Both sticks booted OK and seemed stable in each of the four DIMM slots

2 Sticks, Single Channel -

Booted and seemed stable, regrdless of which slots.

2 Sticks, Dual Channel -

All configurations reboot whilst loading windows desktop, except when my original stick was in slot 2, with the new stick in slot 4. This configuration either hangs between the Windows logo and going into the OS (ie stays at a black screen) or comes up with a dialog box reporting an error with winlogon.exe, saying that an area of memory could not be read.

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks
Chez

Sounds like IS7 doesn't like dual-channel. Do you have any other DDR memory around you to test it? Be sure to reset CMOS before replacing current memory.

I don't have any other memory around..

Surely the IS7-G is gesigned for Dual Channel??

Chez said:
I don't have any other memory around..

Surely the IS7-G is gesigned for Dual Channel??

It should have no issues running dual channel. It's either a motherboard issue, which is quite possible and the reason for wanting to test it with other memory, or a conflict with SPD-settings on the memory. Because your new stick runs fine in single channel, - could you run Memtest86+ for a while to check for stability? - then it wouldn't mean that the stick is bad.

I have almost the exact same problem. My IS7 kinda died last week, so I got a new one to replace it, but now I can’t run dual channel either. I could before though. I can’t figure it out. I have two 512 sticks of Corsair XMS btw.

Did you guys ever figure out what was wrong?

No, I just ran at stock speed (200fsb).

Got an IC7 now, cruising along at 220fsb, 1:1.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Sounds like IS7 doesn't like dual-channel. Do you have any other DDR memory around you to test it? Be sure to reset CMOS before replacing current memory.

I know you guys are talking about Intel setups.. but I have been having problems running my two sticks higher then 200 with 3d stability..

Really my quesiton was is it good to clear the cmos.. when changing memory from slot to slot or swapping between two sticks.. ?

Just wondering because I never do that when swapping dimms.. which I have done a few times lately testing them..

Thx
Thunda

Back