• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What rams should I chose OCZ/Corsair?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wils

Registered
Hi all, I am looking for some new memory, I have tried Kingstin HyperX, not the best (but good for the price). My choices are now between:

1. OCZ PC3200 Platinum LTD Edition CL2-2-2-5/7
2. Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO v1.1 CL2-3-2-6

I have already bought Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO (v1.1), and am expecting OCZ PC3200 Platinum LTD Edition this week. The trouble is. I don’t know what chips are on the Corsair module? I know that it is Winbond BH-5 on the v1.0, but is it the same on v1.1? I would like Winbond BH-6, witch are on the OCZ module. But I am really pleased with the active led’s on the Corsair module. Is there any deferens between Winbond BH-5 and 6? Other than 5 is no longer in production?

I am really confused whit what module I should keep, I like the latest technology, and are not pleased if Corsair uses old rams that is no longer in production, but I just love the led’s :). OCZ is some of the fastest ram in the world, and are only produced in a limited time, witch are pretty nice, to have some memory not so many others have, and witch can not been bought in a short while.

My system is by the way:

P4 3.0 GHz CPU
Gigabyte GA8KNXP v2.0 motherboard

ciku said:
choose geil, it's cheaper :)

Money is not at problem. I have though thought about Geil, but not really any resellers I my country that are selling them, and have never heard about them before (are always sceptics about someone I haven’t heard about before). But I have already bought the 2 I have named, it is just which one to keep, and witch one are going back to my reseller :).

I feel like such a n00b, but what do you guys mean by BH-5 and BH-6 and whatnot? How is all that stuff determined and essencially, what is it?

No you are not. It is hard. The black chips which are on memory (usually 8) are what we re talking about. BH-5 (winbond) are the 'best'' chips that you can have in many peoples opion and they run at 5ns, but they are no longer being made and are being replaced by BH-6 which runs at 6ns and is not quite as good as BH-5. But there are new chips called CH-5 which are not as good as BH-5 or BH-6. I have no problem with CH-5, at lower speeds (under 220 fsb) it can run light timings and does perform good. It is only not too good at high fsb's unlike BH-5 and BH-6. For AMD boards it is fine because they do not need sram to run much faster than 220 but on an intel board CH-5 are not the best because they are not big fans of high fsb's and do not like to run in a 5:4 ratio. I would not go for pc3200 with your cpu, i would go for 3500 or maby 3700...

Fever said:

BH-5 is the best, then comes BH-6 which is almost as good. Try to stay away from CH-5.

Isn’t that only for overclocking? Witch one I fastest running at normal speed?

Corsair PC3200LL pro scores 4530 at CL2-3-2-6, 200 MHz. In PCmark04’s memory test. Is that good.

I think it looks pretty nice with the led on the Corsair ram, and if BH-5 I better than BH-6, I think the corsair is the ones I will keep. I will though get the OCZ PC3200 Platinum LTD Edition to morrow. I am looking forwards to see if they are faster than the Corsair ram, if that is not the case, I will defiantly keep the Corsair rams.

Here are some pics of my computer :):
DSC00537.JPG

Cover on with light on.
DSC00540.JPG

Cover of with light off.

xxxxxxxxx but I just love the led?
Those leds are pretty much useless in my opinion if that expensive ram does not have BH-5 chips on it. I would do whatever it takes to keep or buy BH-5, it really does not matter what manufacturer you have, as long as its BH-5

Speed_Mechanic2 said:

Winbond CH-5 chips.

Ups, did not see it was CH-5 on the Corsait PC3200LL pro, I thought it was BH-5 you wrote. Hmm that is pretty disappointed to hear, ok I think they will go back to my reseller tomorrow, I wants the best :).

mata2974 said:
Those leds are pretty much useless in my opinion if that expensive ram does not have BH-5 chips on it. I would do whatever it takes to keep or buy BH-5, it really does not matter what manufacturer you have, as long as its BH-5

You are quit right about that, I think it will go back to my reseller tomorrow. I was hoping it was BH-5/6, maybe Corsair is trying to hide the ics by making this big head shims and a little light, but if it is CH-5, and to that price, it is not worth it. All though personally I don’t really care if it is BH-5 or BH-6, as far as I can see, the BH-6 works quit well in this test: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1542

By the way, which is best Mushkin vs. OCZ?

I have personally never heard about Mushkin before, and not really a brand you can by I my country (only a wary few places), I thought it was some cheap brand, but now are reading more and more about that it is some of the best, is that trough?

Im thinken on this models:

Mushkin PC-3200 Special 2-2-2 Dual Channel
OCZ PC-3200 Platinum Limited Edition

Freddie said:
No you are not. It is hard. The black chips which are on memory (usually 8) are what we re talking about. BH-5 (winbond) are the 'best'' chips that you can have in many peoples opion and they run at 5ns, but they are no longer being made and are being replaced by BH-6 which runs at 6ns and is not quite as good as BH-5. But there are new chips called CH-5 which are not as good as BH-5 or BH-6. I have no problem with CH-5, at lower speeds (under 220 fsb) it can run light timings and does perform good. It is only not too good at high fsb's unlike BH-5 and BH-6. For AMD boards it is fine because they do not need sram to run much faster than 220 but on an intel board CH-5 are not the best because they are not big fans of high fsb's and do not like to run in a 5:4 ratio. I would not go for pc3200 with your cpu, i would go for 3500 or maby 3700...

Hey cool thanks. Right now i'm running pc2700, but my new mobo supports 3200 and that's what I was going to get. But now i'll snag me some 3700. thanks! :)

Just found out that it is BH-5 that is on my Corsait pro sticks. It is apparently v1.1 with BH-5, and v1.2 with CH-5, and mine are v1.1, nice :):

cmx.jpg

Just got my OCZ sticks to day, really nice and quite heavy, really feels like quality. But it requires 2.8v for the sticks to run stable at CL 2-2-2-5. And even at 2-2-2-5 I only scores 4564 on PcMark04 memory test, and about 4585 in Sisoft sandra. Not quit what I expected, when I can get my Corsair pro stick op to 4526 in PcMark04, and Sisoft sandra 4575, that is with CL2-3-2-6 and 2.6v. Quit impressive that BH-5 can perform almost as fast as BH-6, with lower CL and lower voltage. I am defiantly keeping my Corsair pro sticks, works wary well on my system, and don’t get half as hot as the OCZ sticks.

Just found a review at systemcooling.com, where they have taken a Corsair PC3200LL pro stick apart. It was an impossible task for me not to try that my self, just to find if there is CH-5 or BH-5 on the Corsait PC3200LL pro stick v1.1. And to my big surprise, I found that it is CH-5 on my v1.1 (as well on the v1.0 according to systemcooling). BIG disappointing to find that out, because I vas told that there where BH-5 on the v1.1 (I was just so happy :)). Then my OCZ memory vas put in my computer with the same, and have been there sense yesterday, and are working wary well (are now testing some deferens timings). OCZ are running 100% stable at CL 2-3-2-6 with 2.6v, and stable at CL 2-2-2-5 with 2.8v. And of course at CL 2-2-2-7 at 2.7v.

Anyone knows what voltage is the best for the BH-6 chips?, I don’t overclock, so it is running at 200 MHz. Is there any deferens when running the BH-6 at 2.6v -> 2.8v. I personally like the less voltage the better, because of the long terming life, and heat. But I am now hearing that the BH-5/6 are running better at 2.7/8v is that true, even if I am not overclocking?

Here is a pic:
ch5.jpg

Back