• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With A Decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Socket eh?

My computer gets used mostly for working on my band's website (photoshop, flash, coldfusion) and heavy audio editing(cakewalk studio). Now I'm starting to realise I could really use more ram than the 256 DDR 400 I have in there. Now I have a 256mb stick of DDR266 laying around, but to put that in, I'd have to drop the memspeed down to 150 (300DDR I mean) and run async. With the "dual channel" *cough* as a bonus. I absolutely can't afford any ram because we just bought a new mixing board. So my question is, do you think it's worth it? Double my memory to take the speed hit?

I would say go for it. Just bump the ram voltage to max and see how high the second stick will run. Also don't run it DC. If you do your ram wont be able to clock as high.......plus the gain from AMD dual chanel is nothing.

Steve

mrspec3 said:
I would say go for it. Just bump the ram voltage to max and see how high the second stick will run. Also don't run it DC. If you do your ram wont be able to clock as high.......plus the gain from AMD dual chanel is nothing.

Steve

yeah, that sounds like a good idea, see how far the 266 will run stably then run both sticks at that speed.

In your situation I think the extra amount of memory will more than balance out a marginal speed loss. Even with DDR266 memory I noticed huge difference in 'snappiness' going to 512mb from 256.

Back