• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the HyperX 512M PC4000 at BB a good deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red02TA

Is the $99 HyperX 512M PC4000 at BB a good deal?

BB has the HyperX PC4000 512M sticks on sale for $99 this week. Is that a good deal? Any Idea what chips they carry on them?

most of that stuff is bt-d43 that passes certain tests. if ur lookin for 250-260 mhz the kingston bt-d43 pc3200 will do those speeds usually at a much cheaper price...

?!?!? WTF!?!?!? I was just at BB and Circuit City yesterday. I didnt see any of that RAM!

Crap, well I guess Ill be going back :cool:

lol....you pplz are gonna put me in the poor house. I just bought a stick. Benchies are coming shortly. Then we'll figure out if its a good deal.

I got two sticks. Running Dual Channel 2-3-3-11@215mhz right now.. Dies shortly after that though(about 220). Cas 2.5 doesn't give me any extra, and my board (Nforce2) doesn't support CAS3. So either the memory can't go much higher than this at CAS2/2.5 or my board is topping out.

Rockin solid @ 467mgz. I need to do a chipset mod to get any further......brb :cool:

Anyone know of a way do make a more permenant chipset mod for the NF7?

What chipset mod are you referring to? I have the NF7.. What timings are you using? only single channel right?

Bah!

If I push the FSB any further than 233 I get "CPU is unworkable or has been changed"

It obviously dosnt want to work with my. Well it seems that this is my cap. Damn:(

Ok VDD didnt help.....now on the the L12 mod :D

If ur like me, have two 256MB sticks of some cr@p Corsair that doesnt oc for beans, want a gig, and particularly some ram that might have some headroom for any future mobo you will slap it in (a la DDR500), then it would appear that this is a good deal - - even beats the newegg price, lol

i'm gonna see about getting one stick now, and one for my birthday which is coming up in a month

Nah my kingston is crap. I jsut did the Vdd/L12

I got her to boot and load windows but there was over 50k errors in memtest :D

Anyone think I should try again and buy a different stick?

Either way this stick is going back. I know its not the board since all errors occured in Test #5 plus I got Si-soft Sandra to bench it.

I cant justify not running under 500 since my memory rate is lower than my CH-5, plus its supposed to be rated at that speed :mad:

........d00d, i was just wondering..........what the heck system are you running that ram in to expect it to go over 233? CERTAINLY NOT an AMD?!?! like, no motherboard out there will do 'THAT'. ~220 +/- a few MHz is the max that most nForce2 boards will do---Period. If it is an Intel, then yea, i can understand, but otherwise...lol, it's definitely NOT the ram holding back the speed there

Hey....hey....hey.....just cuz my JIXHB has a little Intel blood runnin thru her dosnt mean you get to laugh :D (although I laughed mercilessly when windoz loaded)

Still I got windoz to load fine @ 500mgz :cool: However the memtest erros are a matter of concern.

Its definatly the RAM. If it were the chipset it wouldnt load windoz. Funny enough Windoz acted just fine. I just gotta get rid of those errors.

However it did take me a VDD mod and the L12 to get it that far :D

Anyway those errors are the same kind I get when I push my CH-5 too far, without upping voltage.

Plus when I set the voltage to 2.9 the errors are cut in half down to 25k.

If I could actually get a good stick then maybe I can get memtest to cooperate

P.S. (237mgz was perfectally stable :cool: )

Last edited:
I posted this in the cyberdeals section, but I headed over to BB this morning and purchase 2 x 512MB of the PC4000 that's on sale. The price, even without the rebate, is pretty good.

I popped 'em in and ran memtest at DDR500 with 3-4-4-8 timings, and had well over 1,000 errors. So I thought maybe I had a bad stick, and started running them individually through memtest...well to my surprise, both sticks passed individually, but when I use both (enabling dual channel) they fail.

After still getting errors at DDR480, I packaged them back up, and returned 'em to Best Buy for a full refund.

I was surprised they performed so poorly because I love this Hyper-X of mine with BH-5 chips.

Maybe someone else will have more luck. :rolleyes:

what are the chances that they will be 100% at DDR400? Think they'd be fine? 440 if my mobo will cooperate - words?

They would likely be fine at DDR400, but you would probably be stuck with CAS 2.5 because PC4000 just doesn't like tight timings.

Since you're running an AMD setup, I'd go for some low latency PC3200. Most of it will do somewhere around DDR433 or DDR440.

Im running semi-solid @ 245. Ya think it would be worth while sending em back?

I can pass memtest and load windoz. Do you think it would be worth it to get some Geil or Mushkin Dual Channel Pack instead?

Im starting to think that it a better way to go.........plus I really want to run Dual-Channel......hmmmm

Yea...Im gonna send em back simply on the basis that it wont run its rated speed.

Anyone have a suggestion for high quality PC4000?

Last edited:
Back