• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Have Released DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well apparently new Intel boards support it, according to PDFs when you clcik on the memory. 4-4-4-12 thats really bad. I hope they can release higher standards, so 2-2-2-? or so is possible. Then again Latencies are becoming less and less important.

intel has alot of fixing to do with the prescott's power and heat issues.with the ddr2 it better overclok waaaaaay high to make up for those awful cas settings. unless, the cas settings with ddr2 are not comparable to the present settings....

ddr2 latencies are high but compensate with the even higher memory speeds. When cpu's are going to be able to utilize all the speed of ddr2, you wont miss the latency.

true but right now there is alot of ram running 260-285, some even higher (check out maxvla's post) at 3-4-4-8. so till they get the ddr2 running real fast or it overcloks like crazy, it probably wont be worth it to upgrade very soon. but u are right, eventually we are all gonna be using it.

I think I remember reading a while back that the timings on DDR2 won't be as big of an issue as DDR. Hopefully I'm right or else AMD systems are doomed to tracking down long lost BH-5 forever. :(

Corsairs doesn't have any ddr2 yet. They have maybe a a few working sticks but nothing more than that.

And no the timings will not get better. 3-3-3-x is the lowest we MAY see, but that's not going to happen for sure. For the higher speeds we will see 5-5-5-12 timings and up

Steve

I'm big on low timings, but I know ddr2 will have super relaxed timings. The thing is I know that those timings are ok for ddr2 since the high speed will compensate for that.

DDR2 may have trouble getting mainstream, since most people are used to ddr timings, people will say wtf? These timings suck no thanks.

DDR2 may have trouble getting mainstream, since most people are used to ddr timings, people will say wtf? These timings suck no thanks.
At first yes, but with some time and better understanding people will change over. Plus remember our standard XPs will be so outdated that ram with tight timings not be needed as much as now.

Krowa 02 said:
I'm big on low timings, but I know ddr2 will have super relaxed timings. The thing is I know that those timings are ok for ddr2 since the high speed will compensate for that.

Do you really think the mainstream consumers know what timings the memory they have right now is running at? Timings are not going to be an issue. All most consumers will see is that DDR2 is running faster than DDR.

I think that it will become 'mainstream' as soon as cpus need ddr 500+ at stock. Then if people want to be able to overclock then they will have to go with ddr2 as ddr will not be able to supply the speed that these new overclocked cpus need.

Looks like DDR2 won't be big for quite a while. Anandtech's news section mentioned that upon arrival 512Mb of DDR2 may be as high as $900+.

Back