• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need OCsystem Memory advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EagleClaw

Within the next week or so I need to buy ram. I am limited to $180 and I want 1 gig. The best I can seem to find right now is..

OCSystem X2 1GB PC3200 DDR400 CAS 2 Match Pair Dual Channel Kit with aluminum heatspreader. This kit includes 2x match pair of 512MB PC3200 400MHz CAS 2 DDR module with optimized dual channel DDR SPD, LOW NOISE PCB, 64x64, unbuffered, 184pin, CAS 2, 2.5-2.9V.

for $178

I don't plan on extreme FSB speeds but I hope for 200-210. I would rather give up a little performance and have the 1 gig.

Does anyone have a better suggestion for 1 gig at that price? If not I'm going with that.

Or is this memory crap?? I would like to know now :)

TIA for any advice

i got a suggestion for ya, run, run, run from anything labled OCsystem. these guys are the biggest scam artists on the net from what i hear. never used em, but they got such a bad rep i dont know who would..

why dont u email or call them and ask if they run the speed u need. cause if they dont run as promised or wont oc ,then you'll be dissapointed...

Ahh very interesting, thanks allot.

I see newegg has some Kingston for $89 a 512 stick Kingston Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 what do you giys think of that.

Sorry for the noobish questions, I know $180 for 1 gig is low end but keep the advice coming.

alot depends on what chips are on the stick. for instance some pc2700 valueram employs the legendary windbond bh6 chips which runs to 230-240- at 3.2v. so with out actually seeing the chips its gonna be a hit or miss deal. i have been very lucky with komusa- their hyperram seems to be good quality for real cheap. they have a gig for sale for 166.00 why dont u email them and ask what chips they are using and what kind of speeds could u expect?.they have the memory custom built from a 3rd party maker. also they have 2 kinds of memory- the standard and hyperram so make sure u chek out the hyperram. who knows, maybe they are ch5 chips or if ur really lucky bh6 chips. thats about the best i can think of for 180 bux...

Well I emailed komusa and they sent me back this....

The manufacturer uses different brand name chips like Infineon, Adata, etc. We do not know exactly which one are they since they are covered by copper heat spreaders. Thank you.

I may take my chances and give them a try, it's either them or the Geil.

BTW Infineon ram isn't so great is it?

Back