• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

250MHz FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hydr0 Styles

I've picked up a DFI Lanparty B, and a Mobile 2500+, and I need to upgrade my RAM.
Right now my corsair won't cut it FSB wise.

I've been looking at some Mushkin DDR PC-3200 Level II...
My goal is 240-250 MHz FSB...
Has anyone gotten this high with those modules?

If not, Should I pick up the PC3500 from Mushkin?

It depends on the actual voltage that the memory is receiving. With less then 3V, then you would almost never see DDR480 w/ BH-5 chips, unless your lucky. With 3.0-3.2V, it still requires a bit of luck to go above 240MHz w/ BH-5 chips, and quite alot of people are unable to do it. With over 3.2V+, if your PSU allows for it, then you may or may not see it. With each increase in voltage, it is more likely you will achieve higher stable clocks.

It wouldn't matter if it's BH-5 chips in Mushkin Level II PC-3200 or PC-3500, they are basically the same thing - especially when given 3V+. Winbond BH-5 and Winbond BH-6 chips will also perform similar in this regard.

it may help cause u know they are speed binned to 217. but if u dont have at least 3+ volts available like the mechanic says, its highly unlikely ur going to see 480-500 at 2-2-2-5, especially if its 2x512 . you might want to consider some bt-d43 which will definitely run 250+, it wont run 2-2-2-5 but it still outta give u some decent bw, and save u a bundle...

Its not the ram that will limit you. Your mobo will be the limiting factor. AXP mobos dont usually break 230MHz.

craig588 said:
Its not the ram that will limit you. Your mobo will be the limiting factor. AXP mobos dont usually break 230MHz.

Have you been living in a hole the last few months ? I guess you completely missed all the people having excellent results from the DFI Infinity and Lan Party B (the board in the OP's post).

Hydr0 Styles if youre not scared to use the Vdimm supplied by the DFI, 240-250 can be expected.

I'm at 247fsb with Mushkin PC3500.

TDF.

I saw a twin pick of 2 sticks of 256mb of bt-d43 at Circuit City for $119. I am now tempted to go back and get it.

TheDogFather said:

Have you been living in a hole the last few months ? I guess you completely missed all the people having excellent results from the DFI Infinity and Lan Party B (the board in the OP's post).

Hydr0 Styles if youre not scared to use the Vdimm supplied by the DFI, 240-250 can be expected.

I'm at 247fsb with Mushkin PC3500.

TDF.

I have used 2 DFI lanparty B boards, one went to 227MHz, and the other went to 232MHz.

The boards wouldn't go any further ?

The only time I've come accross someone having good ram etc. giving it the required volts and the board limiting it to that sort of speed, is when its been one of the earlier boards on a early Bios. Flashing the Bios sorted it straight out.

Theres always exceptions some boards just suck.

But the statement, 'AXP mobos dont usually break 230MHz. ' is not relevent when discussing a Lan Party B, because DFI LP B and the Infinity, nearly allways do.

TDF.

I picked up 2x256 Kingston PC3200, Non A, which is BH-5.

Hopefully these things will do me well.

At a 3+volts on the RAM, what do you guys recommend for cooling?
I don't want to burn these babies up, they cost me a pretty penny.

Nice find, thought they'ed be hard to find.

I just stuck a case fan over the top of them.

They say it helps to take the heatspreader off, but you might not want to invalidate your warranty just yet.

TDF.

I have the DFI Infinity and I can get my Mushkin BL2 up to almost 260 FSB with 2-2-2-11 timings. I think it tops about 255 cuz 260 gives a couple errors. I'm sure with looser timings it could go much farther to. And yes this is in dual channel.

The infinity clocks much better than the lan party. With good bh-5/6 ram from mushin or OCZ you will see 250+. I know a few people with 270x10+ air cooled :D

Steve

I'm sitting on a DFI Lanparty NF II Ultra B with a Mobile 2500+

10x240 1:1 1.825 vcore
Mushkin Black Level II PC 3500 at 3.2v
Chipset at 1.8
Temps now around 29 IDLE-35 LOAD (My basement is COLD)
with an SP-97/AS3/92MM Tornado

The DFI is a great board. 240 is nothing for the board or the ram. I've also done 250. This is with CPC ON. Just keep in mind that to get good o/c's with the Mushkin you need at least 3v. Don't let anyone fool you - the DFI is a great ocer, must better than a stock NF7-S (especially with Bh-5).

-EDIT- I doub that the DFI or the Mushkin hit a wall at 260. MAYBE the ram at 1:1, but not the DFI.

Propilot said:
You might try OCZ 3700 Gold.
I have ran mine at 250fsb at 3-3-3-7. That is tighter than any rated ram can do.

That's on an Intel system. The best ram for the DFI board is OCZ of mushkin with bh-5/6

Steve

craig588 said:

I have used 2 DFI lanparty B boards, one went to 227MHz, and the other went to 232MHz.

Some of the later beta bios (i'm using 1/21) will probably allow you to overclock much higher. I was stuck at around 235 fsb before I flashed to the 1/21 bios. I loaded windows and palyed some games at 250 fsb already, but I really don't need to be at 250. I leave it at 240 for now, and I primed it for 12 hours.
Others have seen similar results with the beta bios. I don't know why it works, but it works :D

get them here

www.midnightmachine.com

Back