• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Budget Memory but with slight overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

OK all, ive been looking to get some new ram but i cant spend that much for say a stick of mushkin lvl 2 ram, i want to know what ram i will be able to get for

1) less than 120 bucks, hopefully 1 gig but can also be 512

2) overclock just slightly, maybe 10 mhz, and also be able to run slightly rtight timings, maybe 2.5-2-2-7 or a little looser, also has to be able to run pc3200 speeds or just a bit higher (200 fsb)

3) must be at newegg or directron

i cant spend too much, im on a student budget and im about to buy a 9800 pro for 214 bucks, so i only have around two hundred left and im not about to spend the rest on RAM

plz help me out, answers are appreciated (and please dont give a 10 word response, i hate when ppl give short responses that are totally irrelevant and dont help out at all, they really pis* me off)

Last edited:
ok i have a question are the newegg mushkin lvl II's worth it? one stick of 256mb is 66 bucks, i will most likely be buying two of em, the

but im also open to other options from mushkin, arent they cheap but u also get good performance, the level ones look good

Kingston HyperX PC-3000 is great. Don't be fooled by the PC-3000 tag, it's pretty much meaningless.

Winbond BH-5 in KHX3000 - try buying not from Newegg (instead places like Zip Zoom Fly or Monarch that move less stock).

dalilman52 said:
ok, so is the khperx pc3000 @zipzoomfly guaranteed to run @ 400 fsb? this one

but will it also be a definite bh-5 stick?

Easy answer would be it's very likely but isn't definate. If it wouldn't be BH-5, then it would be CH-5 and should still run at 400+ fsb. Either case, for ~$200 (1GB) it's good buy.

ok all, ive got a question, are the mushkin's lvl one @ newegg any good?

which should perform better, (ill be running @ constant 200 fsb so i do not need overclockability), just a faster stick, mushkin lvl1 or the hyprx pc3000

i just need the best sticks for cheap and from a good company, needs to be below or close to $150 and 512mb is all i need unless 1gb isnt that much more $

one more thing, wat chips are on the hyperx pc2700, and will tey hit 200 fsb?

Last edited:
I just got some KingMax the other day and it's doing fairly well, not a huge overclock only a couple (10) mhz, but I'm happy with it since I only spent 80 bucks a stick for 512mb PC 3500.

dalilman52 said:
plz help me out, answers are appreciated (and please dont give a 10 word response, i hate when ppl give short responses that are totally irrelevant and dont help out at all, they really pis* me off)
I just got some KingMax the other day and it's doing fairly well, not a huge overclock only a couple (10) mhz, but I'm happy with it since I only spent 80 bucks a stick for 512mb PC 3500.

i guess some ppl post just to post

dalilman52 said:
ok all, ive got a question, are the mushkin's lvl one @ newegg any good?

which should perform better, (ill be running @ constant 200 fsb so i do not need overclockability), just a faster stick, mushkin lvl1 or the hyprx pc3000

i just need the best sticks for cheap and from a good company, needs to be below or close to $150 and 512mb is all i need unless 1gb isnt that much more $

one more thing, wat chips are on the hyperx pc2700, and will tey hit 200 fsb?

Mushkin Level I (One) uses Winbond CH-5 chips. It will perform like any other memory with Winbond CH-5 chips.

Kingston HyperX PC-3000 should have BH-5 chips. BH-5 chips are more capable then CH-5 chips, in general. More capable doesn't mean it will necessarally perform better on your system, it means given the right criteria (a good amount of stable vDIMM, a stable platform) they will perform ideal.

There arn't Winbond BH-5, there is no longer Winbond BH-6, and I don't know what chips are currently, in Kingston HyperX PC-2700.

ok, but i have to know something, will the hyper-x pc3000's at newegg still have bh-5 chips in em? i know that they move a lot of stock, but i mean, there still has to be a chance, but will the chances be higher at zipzoomfly? it seems that they would move less stock than newegg

just give me some good stores that have pc3000 hyper-x with the bh-5 chips (2x sticks of 512 mb, i have change my mind, i want one gig of memory)

cmon....which online store is selling pc3000 hyperx ram with bh-5 chips, the only place i have seen it sold in 2x512 of pc3000 was at newegg, and zipzoomfly, would zipzoomfly have em?

ok all since noone has replied in so long, i just decided to order the kingston hyperx pc3000 2x 512mb and hopefully it will run ddr400 speeds, but wow, 208 bucks is a LOT

ok...i ordered it from zipzoomfly a few days ago and the 2-day shipped package is coming in tomorrow

plzzzzz winbond, bless this package with bh-5 chips!!!

Back