• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best RAM if money is no object

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZheater

Registered
I'm in the process of building my new system, and I've got everything pretty well understood except the RAM. I bought the Corsair XMS PC4000 because I thought this would give me the best OC. But after reading a lot of posts on the subject, it seems people are really down on the PC4000. My question is, is this because of price, performance, or a combination of the two? For me, I just want the maximum FSB I can possibly get, and spending money on RAM is not an issue; ie. I want the best performance, not necessarily the best value. My system consists of:

P4C800-E (plan to vdimm and droop mod)
P4 3.2C
Prometia Mach I (waiting anxiously for it to arrive)
2 160GB SATA HDs (RAID)
ATI 9800 PRO
Corsair XMS PC4000

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-454&catalog=147&depa=1

Much thanks!

PC4000 is cut down on because it is higher latency than slower RAM; to make up for the higher latency, you have to increase the speed, so ultimately, PC4000 RAM is not neccesarily faster then slower stuff with lower latencies.

Timings vs FSB. FSB will win, as long as you are able to get your fsb up 10mhz then the affect that timings have is compensated by the increased bandwith and as a bonus you cpu will run about 160mhz higher (16x multi as on 3.2). I would go for some corsair xms 4400(pt) as that allows for a much bigger oc than that of which you currentlly have.

OK, thanks. Just bought 1GB of PC3500 mushkin L2 (ebay refurb for $205). will put it head to head with my corsair pc4000.

Back