• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my memory in the right slot????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grampa

just got my first rig going(sig).I put my memory in the slots closest to the cpu,but sandra says it is in 2/3 and 4/5,anybody know why.According to the NF7-s manual it is installed correctly,,,,

yep,just downloaded sandrs yesterday,no I did not read it on the mother board,it may be that when they translated the manual they got the numbers wrong,,I will look at the mobo to see what it says

well,even though my eys are not young anymore,I can still see that the mobo says dimm1 and dimm2 on the slots that I am using,guess sandra is wrong,anyone have any ideas?????????

The one closest to the CPU should be DIMM 1

If there are 2 sides of memory chips on your module (double-sided) then each stick will have 2 banks. There are 6 banks in the 3 DIMM slots. So, if I had 2 single-sided sticks in DIMM slots 2 and 3, I would get banks 3 and 5 showing up in Sandra as filled.

Dunno, maybe sandra is wrong.

DITTO to what was said about single and double sided mem. sticks.

I guess that different manufactures number slots differently??

Mine are numbered ... CPU .. 1--2 ------3 on the DFI Infinity

I put my memory in the 2 slots close together (1 & 2) and closest to the CPU and figured they would be the DUAL mem. slots .. WRONG

I did some research and they said that the 2 slots next to each other BUT with the wide space between them (2 & 3) were the DUAL slots .. WRONG. (in a way .. If you use 1 X 512Mb in the single slot ( 3) and 2 X 256 next to each other in the close slots (1 & 2) and they are the same speed , etc. .. then they may all work Dual chanel with 512mb on each chanel).

It turns out that the slots furtherest apart (1 & 3) are the DUAL slots on this MB.

Now .. IF your not running DUAL CHANNEL I don't think it matters where you put your memory .. except its better to put the largest stick in #1 if they are all the same speed..Otherwise put the slowest memory in slot #1 because the system will run at the speed of your slowest memory.. hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
kinda Ot but this KG7 board I have the ram sockets are "bass akwards"

The furthest socket from the cpu is #1 then 2,3,4 back toward the processor, even tho the manual sayes #1 is closest to the cpu...

Ive installed the ram in single moduals in every socket & it will not boot unless the furthest socket from the cpu has a modual in it first wierd huh ?

Another thing this bord will not let me use ddr2100 & 2700 in it at the same time.

It will use 2100 alone or 2700 alone but combined in any fasion it just beeps @ me :( Is that normal ? All the ram is crucial with micron chips cept 1 stick is 512 samsung thought for sure it would work fine.

http://www.abit-usa.com/images/products/kg7-large.jpg

Manual says for PC3200 to place it in dimm3 for single 512meg and dimm3 and 2 for dual channel on the nf7-s

Seems odd to me but I just did as the manual says...

well guys,grandpa(yes leah just turned 1 year old last month) has made a mistake!the manual states"We suggest you install DDR SDRAM modules from DIMM3 to DIMM1 sockets in order"well to began with my modules are from new egg!

And I am also willing to say that the reason for my high temps9 that I have been talking about in other threads) will be fixed when I change my modules around!

Let me see if I have learned any thing from you guys that have helped me so much.the cpu is probably having to look in the wrong place for the memory it needs and when it has to expend that much more.......my eyes are open now

well I guess thats not the answer,what sandra showed is that I did have my memory in banks 2/3 4/5,but when I changed one stick from dimm socket 1 to dimm socket 3 sandra now shows my positiopns as 0/1 4/5 hhuummmm now who do I believe,abit or sandra?????? my temps did come down another 2-3 degrees

seems to me that I read somewhere in here that you had to leave the middle dimm socket open to run in ddr,guess I will go hunt down that thread,and also ask about it in abit mobo thread

Back