• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tightening my CAS timings is making my CPU run hotter!!! Does that make sense???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chixofnix

does it?

I'm getting hotter load/idle temps (not by many degrees, but still hotter) due to increasing voltage being drawn by my CPU as I tighten my latencies... I thought latencies and how hard the CPU works were independent!

what's goin on?!?

Because of the lower latencies, your CPU is probably getting a little more memory bandwidth, so it can work a little faster, so it's getting a little hotter.

ie: it's not spending as much time idling waiting for data from memory.

hmm... makes sense... we're not talking about a 10-degree rise here or anything, just a few (maybe 3) between super-tight and super-loose settings.

any concurrence w/ JCLW's theory?

EDIT: and if that's true, then wouldn't the NB be getting a little hotter by the same argument? (haven't been monitoring it, however... so I can't say that it is...)

Back