• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will this Kingston HyperX DDR500 outperform my Corsair XMS DDR400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Benzie500E

Hey guys, ok, i don't know if any of you guys saw the best buy sales ad for this week, but they have the following ram in it:

Manufacturer: Kingston
Speed: DDR500(PC4000)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3-4-4-8-1T
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 4.0GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

for $119 a stick.

Meanwhile, I bought my Corsair ram for about $119 a stick also, which is:

Manufacturer: Corsair
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2-3-2-6
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Special Features: with Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader
Warranty: Lifetime

Since both are the same price...which one will perform better, and most importantly, allow me to overclock better with a 1:1 ratio? I noticed the latency's are higher on the Kingston, so thats where i'm getting thrown off. Which will perform better, should I sell my Corsair and snatch up this kingston ram?

it depends on what kind of chips are in each, how fast the cpu will run- and the mb. for example if the pc3200 is bh5/6 capable of running 2-2-2-5 at 230-240 fsb and the pc4000 has some picked over bt-d43 that wont oc much over 250, then the pc3200 wins. conversely if the pc3200 has ch5 chips that dont run as well as bh5/6 and the corsair has some later rev bt-d43 or d5 chips that will crank like maxvla's wonder stick then thats the way to go.. its a hard choice without testing or knowing what the chips are..

is there a way of telling which chips are in each?

also, now that i have my comp overclocked by raising the FSB, my ram is no longer in dual channel, its in single channel, is this what happens when you overclock?

Back