• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII socket370 sdram motherboard recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PingSpike

The last time I purchased a replacement motherboard for all the IBM machines with bursting capacitors it ran really slow for some reason...I ended up sticking my old abit be6-ii in there instead.

Anyway, a lot of our machines are crapping out lately...because of the capacitor problem, so I need a good board to replace them. And I'm not quite up to snuff with my intel boards so I could use some help. These are just basic business machines, so I don't need any fancy gaming extras. Any onboard video or sound will do the job. I'd prefer them to be solid and reliable though! :)

My requirements:
1) Its gotta use sdram, since thats whats sitting around here.
2) It has to do 133fsb for the PIII 1ghz chips we have.
3) Onboard lan and video are a must, onboard sound is a plus.
4) I'd prefer micro-ATX to full ATX, but its not a big concern.

Thanks!

Howabout settling for a board that doesn't have onboard LAN, and instead just buying a ton of NE2000-compatible 10/100 ethernet PCI cards for cheap. Yeah, they aren't fancy, but they work. I did this same type of setup for the school district in Goddard KS about seven years ago.

Hehe, man that was a long time ago :p

Are their boards available without onboard LAN? I can't seem to come up with much...and nothing from a quality place like asus or abit. Mostly PC chips stuff.

Not sure how many you need, but if you are talking less than a half dozen or so, what about looking for used Abit SE6 or SA6 biards? The SE6 has built-in video and sound. Or maybe the Asus CUS series of mobos? Dunno, just an idea. How long did the ECS mobos last before they started crapping out? A couple years? If you get some replacement ECS, won't they last long enough to get you by for now? By the time the start failing again, you'll be long overdue for a newer platform.

Go to www.starsurplus.com and look for the Biostar M6VLR, they have about a dozen of these brand new, Tually socket 370 support, micro-ATX, onboard sound-video-and LAN, only negative in my opinion is it's a VIA chipset, SDRAM compatible, sounds like everything you're looking for but pricey at $70 each.

The MSI-6368

Dude get the MSI 6368 it's like 60-70 bucks has onboard VGA 8mb holds 1gb ram sd-pc133 up to 1.4ghz cpu has onboard NIC too ^^

Back