• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512Mb or 1Gig?? How much is enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slapnutzz

Registered
As far as games go, do you really benifit from more memory?

I'd love to hear from someone with a 9800xt who can try out the UT2004 Demo with both 512Mb and 1Gig. If there isn't much difference in framerate with all the eye candy turned on I'd rather get 512 and spend the rest elsewhere.

Thanks, and nice forum you guys have here.

For games right now, 512 is enough. 1gb will make everything load up a bit quicker, but as far as fps go w/ eye candy there won't be a discernable difference (about 5fps approx.)

That being said, in the very near future (end of year at latest) 1gb will be the gaming standard that 512 is today. More and more games are using memory like it's an eternal fountain, and we're simply trying to keep pace.

If your in a pinch for money, buy 1 512mb stick of quality memory now (instead of 2x256) and get the other 512mb stick in month or two when funds are available.

I think that's how I'm having to go with my new rig

Makes sense.. The only thing I worry about is getting a matching stick of RAM a few months down the road that will run dual channel.

I guess the smartest thing to do is get the full Gig now and suffer with my old video card a little longer. RAM will always be pricey whereas the 9800's will only get cheaper after the 420 comes out.

Back