• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CORSAIR (XMS Series) VS CRUCIAL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krazyvi3t

Registered
Which memory performs better i like corsair ive been using it for a while and no problems at all but my friend uses crucial and yeah i wonder which one is better of the two, and if not which brand of memory works best

Corsair will consistently overclock much better than Crucial. Yeah, there may be a few golden sticks of Crucial that school the Corsair sticks (and vice versa) but on the whole, Corsair is better for overclocking. I used Crucial sticks when I build customer computers because I've found that they are consistently of the best quality for stock timings. Now, the PC2100 Crucial sticks more often than not, will do 166Mhz C2.5

~THT

yeah i thought so too that cosair would be better, i like cosair they work fine for me but are there any other brands better than cosair?

Unlike crucial though, corsair buys their chips from other campanys such as winbond, hynix, and samsung to name a few, and then make them into sticks of ram (crucial makes their own chips). Because of this, other companys like ocz and mushkin produce pretty much the same ram. The differences are mainly marketing and tech support.

Last edited:
Crucial is rock solid and dependable memory for general use. I've seen it with micron and samsung chips. For gaming and overclocking Corsair or one of the other performance memory is better. You'll will get memory that will overclock more consistently, even though on occasion you get some crucial that will go head-to-head with the best.

As of now I am using two gig of Corsair in my newer systems... (with more on the way.) At work and at home I have used many types of ram, some very good, and some...well not so good. So far I've never incountered a problem with Corsair. In my main puter I'm using 1 gig, 2x512 of the Pro series with the 18 led's. Over clocks well, and Looks way too cool through my window...:D

I agree completely with fhanderson. Corsair will almost certainly outclock crucial when overclocking, but Crucial is excellent ram for all other circumstances. If you need reliable and rock stable stock performance (such as for a server), Crucial is an excellent choice. If your looking for overclocking flexability, crucial won't cut it, look at corsair, mushkin, kingston hyper-x for this type of application

I had some crucial 2100 that did a good overclock, then i sold it to a friend. I personally perfer corsair, i can get better timings i feel.

Back