• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

northbridge heatsync?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LancerJay

I own a P4P800 865PE motherboard and i just took off the heatsync to the northbridge and i noticed this "shim" (iono if that is the right word for it) it's white and it looks sorta like a rubbery or foamish material on the bottom of the heatsync. doesn't look like the heatsync is really making direct contact with the NB. any idea what this is for? and should i remove it? I'm waiting on my processor and AS5, which i will apply to the NB.

and a quick question on the as5 and NB, do i apply the as5 on the NB chip itself or the NB heatsync? or does it matter? Thanks for you time.

- Jonathan

that foamish stuff is pobably like a thermal pad that probably doesnt work very well. I should probably get rid of that on my nb also.I would put a very thin layer of arctic silver on the heatsink then mount it .

that's what I actually did and placed a small sunon fan on top of it. Used epoxy for plastic and metal to stick it.. it works great! :D

ciku you have already removed the foam crap from your nb hs?Will the spring clips hold the hs down firmly enough?Sounds like this is something i will be doing tonight.Sometimes i think my nb is runnin a lil hotter than it should be being that my case has 7 fans and a fan on the nb hs.Removing that foam should def make a diff.

Z_oc nope didnt try to oc much, i can reach 295fsb but cpu heat is too high, need more cooling... jst using pc for daily use... but anyway, temps went down :D

You mean motherboard temps? Does Asus P4P800/P4C800 read mobo temps off the northbridge?

yes they say mobo temp is same as nb temp coz it gets from the diode :)

Back