• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why do we have to hack for PAT > 200MHz FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaker

Registered
I successfully flashed my bios this evening in order to enable PAT for speeds over 200MHz and it's working good so far.

I'm just wondering why it's disabled in the first place.. seems to work fine so it doesn't make me conclude that there would be stability issues..
Maybe ASUS has an agreement with Intel to disable PAT on the P4P800 with more then 200MHz FSB, cuz it's not supposed to have it anyway (just speculation).

Anyone have a reasonable answer for this?

yeah i've got the same problem ... but i don't even have a bios where PAT can be enabled over 200MHz ...
can you please post a link where to find hacked bios for p4p800 ? (or do it with a pm if it isn't allowed to post :rolleyes: ) :)

THX! thread looks good :)

if i understand it in the right way,
1. you have to flash your bios with a complete p4c800-bios
2. then you flash "a part" of a p4p800-(why beta?)-bios
=> finally you have a hybrid p4c800/p4p800-bios !?

Last edited:
emarald:
No, you flash first with the P4P8X (different motherboard) bios as described in the link above then you flash with an official P4P800 bios. For the official bios I used P4P81015.AMI so it DOESN't have to be a beta bios. Also make sure you use the old AFUDOS to flash (I downloaded it from a link somewhere in that thread).

Propilot:
heh .. almost the same.. I'm liking my OCZ PC3700 which I RMA'ed Geil PC3500 for (-:

Re-Read the first post!!!!!!!!!!!

The P4C800 bios has nothing to do with this.

You flash it with the full P4P8X motherboard bios, then with the partial P4P800 bios.

aaah, mkay, yeah now i got it ! ^^

mhm it's a easy way to have fully pat >200MHz ,
but could this also be realized by a hacked bios ?#

btw:
how can i find out whether my p4p800 is rev.2.0 or not ?!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's a "backdoor" to PAT. PAT is not something enabled on 875 chipsets as it is more disabled on 865 chipsets. The hack uses the bootblock from the p4p8 so it tricks the chipset into thinking it's using a 533fsb cpu not an 800. PAT is partially enabled without the hack which still allows the use of dividers like in my case.

how can i find out whether my p4p800 is rev.2.0 or not ?!?

What color is the HS on the northbridge? silver= rev 2 I think is the ruling.

Thanks for the info, Dan.

So if the chipset thinks it's running a 533FSB cpu doesn't that hinder performance on a 800MHz cpu? Prolly not for some reason, but a logical n00b question :p

This PAT hack has been worth it so far.. All I wanted to do is run my OCZ at its 466MHz rated speed so I set the FSB to 233 1:1. Good for my overclocking needs.

Regards.

Sneaker said:
Thanks for the info, Dan.

So if the chipset thinks it's running a 533FSB cpu doesn't that hinder performance on a 800MHz cpu? Prolly not for some reason, but a logical n00b question :p

This PAT hack has been worth it so far.. All I wanted to do is run my OCZ at its 466MHz rated speed so I set the FSB to 233 1:1. Good for my overclocking needs.

Regards.

Actually it is supposed to enhance your chip, faster.

That ram will run its rated timing to 245fsb. At 250fsb it has to do Cas 3.
Thats as high as i have ran it.

You might try upping it a little. My runs Prime95 stable (48hrs) at 240fsb.

The part that it's tricking is the northbridge channels that need to be left open for PAT. All 865's started out as 875's, but didn't cut the mark. So you block some pathways but you don't market them (865's) as handicapped. You market the non-handcapped(875's) as enhanced. A little smoke and mirrors(or dog and pony)show.

Grandpa Dan said:
The part that it's tricking is the northbridge channels that need to be left open for PAT. All 865's started out as 875's, but didn't cut the mark. So you block some pathways but you don't market them (865's) as handicapped. You market the non-handcapped(875's) as enhanced. A little smoke and mirrors(or dog and pony)show.

Supposedly from several articles I have read, ASUS only buys the chips Intel purposely disables to meet the demand for 865 chips.
Not the rejects that couldn't cut it.

Too bad its not reversible.

Propilot said:

Supposedly from several articles I have read, ASUS only buys the chips Intel purposely disables to meet the demand for 865 chips.

I wish that were the case. My P4P800 won't POST over 290 FSB (instantly corrupts the BIOS upon boot), but is prime95 stable at 286FSB and default vcore :( .

I havn't noticed an option in the BIOS to incrase the northbridge voltage, and i'm told that on the P4P800, vagp isn't tied to it. Perhaps a mod to increase the northbridge voltage?

OperativeSix said:

I wish that were the case. My P4P800 won't POST over 290 FSB (instantly corrupts the BIOS upon boot), but is prime95 stable at 286FSB and default vcore :( .

I havn't noticed an option in the BIOS to incrase the northbridge voltage, and i'm told that on the P4P800, vagp isn't tied to it. Perhaps a mod to increase the northbridge voltage?

Are crying over your overclocking ??!!
Thats a hell of an overclock. If it can't go anymore, don't blame the board, its your processor.

Supposed to help, raising your vagp. Many on here do it.

On the BIOS mod, how come the link says it'll void warranty? You can just flash it back to normal P4P800 BIOS, can't you?

Grandpa Dan said:
If you get bad flash half way through then your screwed...get it?
You can always just buy a new BIOS chip to replace it.....but what I mean is that does the double flashing of the BIOS somehow mess up the board and voids warranty?

Back