• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP workgroup issues (DHCP Problems)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CevJuan

Registered
Hey guys!!!

I am having some problems with my windows xp network that I have setup here at work. I have a total of 15 pc’s connected at any given time to this workgroup. We currently have a fractional T1 which is running into our company firewall (hardware), then into a network switch. The firewall has the option for DHCP services which we are trying to utilize. Our firewall is set to the default settings for automatic ip assigning but when a pc logs on to the pc connected to the network…..somehow a different ip address is getting assisgned.

For instance….

I have the ip address to start at: 192.168.1.30

What I get at each pc is: 192.168.0.1 (+And up)

After the pc is logged on I have to go to the command prompt & do a IPCONFIG /RELEASE & a IPCONFIG /RENEW

Then the correct IP address will be assisgned.

A few more things to mention:

We were running a hodge-podge of mixed OS’s (Windows 2000, XP home, Pro)
Both technical support people from my T1 & the firewall company said that a DHCP service is running from one of the PC’s in our network.

I have since upgraded every single PC in the network to:

WINDOWS XP PRO SP1
OFFICE 2003

I am still having the same issue at every pc.

Please help me out on this, I have hit a wall on figuring this one out. I appreciate any help you guys can give!!!

Sincerely,
Aaron

It sounds to me like you have another DHCP server on the network. I dont know how it would be possible, but thats what it sounds like. Usually if there are 2 DHCP servers on the network, they will report an error due to having multiple one on the same network.

Thats exactly what my technical support people are saying.

How could it still be running after EVERY pc has been reformatted & all setup the same way?

Is there a way to run these services from one of the XP PRO machines?

I appreciate the help BCHUR!!!

bchur83 said:
It sounds to me like you have another DHCP server on the network. I dont know how it would be possible, but thats what it sounds like. Usually if there are 2 DHCP servers on the network, they will report an error due to having multiple one on the same network.

XP Pro can run DHCP if it has Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on. You can also get third party DHCP server programs. It could be either of these. GO to the command line and type "ipconfig /all" see if is says what IP addrsss is assigning the 192.168.0.X address. That will tell you which computer is giving out addresses

bchur83 said:
XP Pro can run DHCP if it has Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on. You can also get third party DHCP server programs. It could be either of these. GO to the command line and type "ipconfig /all" see if is says what IP addrsss is assigning the 192.168.0.X address. That will tell you which computer is giving out addresses

If the pc has just logged on the first time after the power being restored, I will get a 192.168.0.1 & up. I can do a ipconfig /all & it will not show the pc it is comming from....I dont think I understand.

We have a file sharing PC that I think I should run the ICS on if you think that would be the easiest. After I run that I will have to disable the DHCP of the firewall correct?

Thanks again!!!

Yes, if you run ICS, then you have to disable the DHCP in the firewall. If you do run ICS though, then all internet has to pass through that computer. I don't think there is any way to change the DHCP information in XP, on the ICS machine so that it looks for the firewall as the default gateway. Do you run other services locally, like DNS, WINS, or any other services? ICS may disrupt these services also.

Is there any truth to no morethan 10 pc's on a workgroup?

How would I setup a domain, Our main office has a domain...couldnt I just creat a child domain on XP PRO?

Ahh, I found it. Go to one of the computers that is getting the 192.168.0.X address. Go to the network properties and right click the connection that is getting the address. Select status in the right click menu. Go to the support tab, and click details. It will tell you about half way down, what server it is getting the address from. Check that out and see what you find.

bchur83 said:
Ahh, I found it. Go to one of the computers that is getting the 192.168.0.X address. Go to the network properties and right click the connection that is getting the address. Select status in the right click menu. Go to the support tab, and click details. It will tell you about half way down, what server it is getting the address from. Check that out and see what you find.
Right. You should have your firewall be the dhcp server... unless you have a proper dhcp server. If you have just one machine trying to hand out IP addresses along with the firewall, things will get ugly. You need to find out WHAT is assigning IP addresses. What is the IP of your firewall?

It is pooling 32 addresses starting from 192.168.1.33 & up.

I am having such a headache with this!!!

Thanks Guys, I appreciate!!!

Back