• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a pci clock and should I lock it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methodx

My motherboard has the option to lock the agp/pci settings to 33/66/100 and obviously you should do that when you oc...but there is also a setting to lock the "pci clock." What's up with that?

No question, you should lock the PCI bus to 33MHz. If it goes much higher than 35MHz, give or take a MHz or two, you'll start to see a lot of errors in windows, and instability. AGP should also be locked to 66Mhz.

What I am talking about is different from PCI bus though.

See, there is the option to lock pci/agp to 33/66/100 and I have already done that (already locked the pci bus).

But then there is another option to lock the "pci clock" and I am wondering what that is.

If you lock the PCI clock, does it stay put at 33 MHz when you change the FSB settings?

PCI and AGP should stay 33 MHz and 66MHz respectively, whatever frequency your FSB is. So if you can lock the PCI/AGP, then you have greater flexibility with FSB settings.

Back