• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer freezes after 3 min of cable internet!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Rotory

Disabled
Please I need some help, I keep freezing after like 3 minutes on the internet. Why is this happening, I first thought I might be overheating then I thought maybe its a virus, I bought and installed norton system works, but nothing found!!! all updated, please help!

Have you tried checking task manager for running apps? If I was to guess, I would say download Spybot and Adaware from http://www.download.com/ . Update them and scan your hdd for spyware.

Tread

Also.. do you have it hooked up via USB or via network card? I had a similar problem having my Motorola Surfboard hooked up via USB.

Did you install the O/S and leave the Nic connected to the Net ?
If you did there is a big chance you have a worm..Check MSCONFIG and see what runs at start up if something is there not related to what you know you installed tell us what that is.

I checked MSCONFIG no worm, ran norton,.......norton corrupted, ran prime95 stable 6 hours, ran memtest passed after 600% i quit, so then I said thats it, uninstalled IE and install Firefox, oh yea!! working like a charm :D . Anyways, then I also did all the windows updates, got rid of norton (because it was corrupt) now IE is working nicely also, however I decided to keep the guy with firefox, I made sure and dl'ed for him all the macromedia and java stuff so he doesn have problems when browsing. Also he had a ISA modem that could have been causing the issue, <---gone. Also ran spyboy and adaware he had tons of spyware. This was for a guy at work, I'm pretty sure its fixed however if I come back to work tommorro and find out that it isnt, i'll let you guys know. Thanks a lot for all your help. I love the forums :D

Yah Firefox rocks no matter what your situation anyway. Nicely done tabbed browsing and built in popup blocking and none of the nasty spyware security holes IE has.. you can't go wrong.

Back