• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New user/OCer, Asus P4P800 OCing help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freestyle_e30

Hello everyone, I am very happy to meet you all, and extrememly excited to have found this forum. I have a lot of reading ahead of me :eek:

Hopefully my system info will show up below, or else I have to edit to add it. Anyways...I have a couple questions as to OCing, specifically for my system.

>I would like to know some good default "manual" bios settings to start with for over-clocking. I know the general idea of how to OC, test for stability, and watch temps. Stuff like MAM, Turbo mode, and basic defaults for the rest of the manual settings are what I need to start my OCing!

>Also, do most of you trust Asus Probe for watching your temps? My Case came with a couple temp sensors as well, but I am not 100% sure what the best method of setting these up are.

>Lastly, I know you want to test for stability after changing bios settings, but what do most of you use to put stress on your components?

Any information you people could give me would be great. I really appreciate being able to come here and "pick your brains".

:EDIT: for system specs:
Antec P160 Case 2x120mm fans / Antec TruePower 480w PSU
WinXP Pro SP1
Asus P4P800 - Deluxe (bios 1014)
Intel P4 2.6c (HT)
Corsair XMS DDR400 4x256Mb (cas = 2.5?)
Built by ATI Radeon 9800Pro (Catalyst 4.2/DX 9.0b)
(2)Seagate 120Gb SATA Barracuda drives - RAID 0
SoundBlaster Audigy2 6.1
48x24x48 Sony CDRW

Last edited:
you can always try what other people are doing if they have similar components to you.Testing stability for me is to run my favorite game, Battlefield 1942 for about 3 hours straight and if my pc doesnt lock up its all good.Most people use prime95 and memtest though.

Hello everyone, I am very happy to meet you all, and extrememly excited to have found this forum. I have a lot of reading ahead of me

welcome to the forums!!

yeah you got some reading to do:D

take it easy and record all your changes...good advice i got was to set everything to stock, pat, mam etc and start from there

lock your pci/agp to 33/66 and start slowly raising your fsb

memtest 86 is an exellent tool to use on boot as your fsb starts to creep up alowing you to test for errors that might corrupt files if you were to boot to windows

as was also mentioned prime 95 is also an exellent stress tester

but always ask if unsure and read lots....good luck:D

Back